Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

CBT And Therapy
BeHapppy118 posted:
Hello,

A lot of you here has mentioned CBT and I recently found out what it means. My therapy sessions sound almost exactly like CBT but I never knew there was a difference.. Is there a difference between CBT and a regular therapy session? I have been in therapy for a few years now and it was always like this. I read that CBT should only last about 14 weeks and I've been doing it for years.

I am a bit confused..
So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.
- Stephen Chbosky

Jeune1 responded:
Your therapist could be using CBT as part of your treatment or a modified version of it. I guess what matters most is whether it works for you.

Still, a good question to ask the therapist.

Jeune1 replied to Jeune1's response:
Forgot to say - Yes you're right. CBT is supposed to take place in a set period of time.

BeHapppy118 replied to Jeune1's response:
Yeah, I am wondering now what is better for me. I will have to ask her. Thank you.
So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.
- Stephen Chbosky

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.