Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Advice on going off meds or help paying for them.
An_247527 posted:
Dr.,

I need advice on how to go off my meds. I take BuproprionXL 300 mg.(generic Welbutrin) daily, Pantoprazole 40 mg. daily (generic protonix) daily, Synthroid 75 mcg. daily, & Enalarapril 20 mg. daily. I have a month's supply left & will not be able to afford to get more. Is there anywhere to get help getting these meds? If my only choice is to go off them I want to do it safely. I plan to call my Dr. on Monday but would appreciate any advice.

nopoin responded:
I had the same problem with my Depakote Er. I'm out of work due to my disorders and under doc orders not to return to work, so I can't get unemployment check. any way Check with your doctor to see if there is any pharmacy companies( the makers of your meds) that have a program the pay for your meds, I go through my local mental health office and they helped me apply for the program and all it cost me for my Depakote is $5.00 a month. or you cam get on line and search pharmacy company's My med is a product of the Abbott pharmacy company. often they display a list of what they have on their program. It's worth check out.

itmatsb responded:
Yes, that's right. Also check with your pharmacy which might know about those programs.

It's extremely hazardous to your health to stop taking blood pressure, thyroid and anti-depressant medication. To abruptly stop the anti-depressant could cause you terrible side effects from the withdrawal. And having high blood pressure can lead to strokes or heart attacks and other illnesses. A low thyroid can also affect your health negatively. Maybe your doctor can prescribe cheaper meds in the same classification. But you're in for a lot of trouble otherwise.

itmatsb replied to nopoin's response:
To nopoin,
Can you apply for disability payments since you can't work? That could help your financial situation.
Sara

itmatsb responded:
To An_247527,
And you don't say why you suddenly can't afford your medications. Could you apply for unemployment, Medicaid or disability? If you give more information, maybe someone can help you more.
Sara

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon -

Hopefully you have talked with your doctor and have a plan to continue or taper your meds. As others have explained it may be dangerous to stop taking your meds and in the long run cost you much more.

In addition to talking with your doctor, pharmacist, and drug companies, here is a post that offers information for free and/or low cost care. Be sure to scroll down to the last response to see additions and updates to some of the websites.

Free/Low Cost Medical Care, Including Counseling

Please check back in to let us know how you are doing and what you find out.

Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.