Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Depression off set by traumatic memories
An_247640 posted:
I have a friend who has been diagnosed with depression and takes an anti-depressant. Her medication helps her greatly, but when she starts thinking about a certain traumatic experience she had in the past, she becomes severely depressed and even suicidal. Even though she wants to stop thinking about it, she can't. Is there anything she can do to prevent this from happening/help her come out of it when it does?

1nt3rnalc0mbu5t1on responded:

Im sorry to hear abuot your friend, traumatic memories are a very evil thing. I can relate somewhat to your friend. Are they seeking help from a therapist? The biggest thing you can do is to face those memories and confront them, having a trained professional there will help you deal with those emotions. Odds are those memories are what got her into the state of mind they are in. Sadly many people with depression have a very good memory when it comes to those moments in life. We can recall them with uncanny accuracy and the pain is just as real as it was when it happened. We will tend to over analyze the problem and find a way to place the blame on ourselves. Leading us down that slippery slope, into a very dark place. If i may recommend a book that has helped to open my eyes about my past, it is titled "Healing the shame that binds You." It confronts many of the issues that stem from those tragic memories and it gives you tools to over come them. One of the processes is call thought stopping, basically when you feel yourself going down that road to a dark place. You try to remind yourself that you are a good person and that what ever happened wasnt your fault. One of the ways the book i suggested, recommends doing that is wearing a rubber band around your wrist and when you start to have those thoughts, you snap the rubber band. Painful i know, but that little snap, can help take your mind away and remind you that everything is going to be okay. It takes practice and work, like anything in life and a trained professional can help with that greatly.

I wish your friend the best of luck and all you can do is be supportive. Its easier said than done, because you see the beauty in that person, even though at times, they dont. You can remind them till your blue in the face, but often times they dont want to hear it. Dont give up, if they are not in therapy, it may take some time for them to realize that they need help. Even if they know it now, making that phone call to set up that first appointment can be the hardest thing to do. So maybe if you talk to them and they seem interested in help, you could reach out and get them on the right track.

regards,

IC

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.