Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Job causing anxiety and depression and don't know where to turn.
An_247672 posted:
I made redundant in January and was unemployed for several months, I eventually found a job that suited me and applied, the same day I got a phone call to attend an interview, I attended and got offered the job on the spot, I gladly accepted.

The first day I found out the job I applied for did not exist, or rather as they put it "Had go" but this other job existed, minimum wage, longer hours, and horrible work, being unemployed I couldn't refuse as I'd loss any unemployment benefits for turning down, I've since learn't this is a common technique employers use for filling poor jobs and I fell victim.

The work itself is hard manual labour, nothing like what I applied for and is really unenjoyable, and if that wasn't bad enough I have the supervisor from hell, he informed me when I started no one ever stuck at this job and I can see why, his main purpose seems to be to find fault, nit pick and give smart comments, this has been going on daily for the 3 months I have been their, I eventually said enough is enough and stood up to him asking what his problem is, he stood up to me like he wanted a fight and called me a f**king b**tard, and since then the bullying has got worse.

Its got to the stage now where I am on edge all the time, in a low mood, have IBS and other stomach problems, and have lost all interest in anything including my wife and 3 kids.

I finally summoned up the courage to go to the doctor and explained all, he diagnosed me with anxiety, depression and stress but said it would not be wise to give me meds as the main trigger of this is my job and that I should speak to my HR department.

So I went in and spoke the the HR guy and explained all, he was very sympathetic at what I had been going through and said he would talk to the boss and get back to me, he spoke to the boss and his stance changed, I got told how valuable a member my supervisor was, how experienced he is and how I had only been their 4 months, and that working in any factory is stressful. So basically got told to man up and get on with it.

I can't stick it any more, Today is a Saturday the weekend, and as usual another weekend is ruined thinking of this place, I can't enjoy my kids any more, I can't motivate myself to get out of bed even.

I am trapped as if I leave I get no unemployment benefits or sickness. While I am certainly not thinking of suicide I do wish I was dead as I can't stick this. Help?

susiemargaret responded:
hello, A277 --

while going thru some of the older posts, i found yours, and i am so sorry i didn't see it until now. often when there is a lot of traffic in this community, it is very easy for posts to fall to the second page and beyond; then they become less and less likely to be seen. i hope you are still following this thread.

are you still working at this horrible place?

if so, it seems to me that you have several options --

-- start thinking really seriously if the income from this job is worth destroying your health, because it seems to me that ultimately that is the trade-off you are looking at here.

-- stick it out while looking as hard as you can for another job. you are currently working at minimum wage; it might be worth considering a different minimum-wage job that would not take such a devastating physical and emotional toll on you. while you are looking, perhaps you could also investigate registering with some of the agencies that find temporary assignments for people.

-- go to a different dr and describe how miserable and unhappy you are; i think it was quite callous and unrealistic of your other dr to blithely suggest that all could be resolved by talking with the HR dept and therefore to conclude that a short course of antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds was out of the Q. just because you know your job is the source of your unhappiness does not mean that you cannot be helped by some meds that could make it easier for you to cope with it every day. psychiatrists are likely to know the most about what meds might be appropriate for you in these circumstances.

-- go to a gastroenterologist and get some treatment for your IBS and other intestinal complications.

-- all of the above.

i don't know what state you live in, but i think it would be worth the effort to take another look at the law or regulations governing unemployment benefits. do they truly require that you take a job doing hard manual labor if you have never had that kind of job before?

finally, i know that even with this job, finances are probably a concern in terms of getting medical care. i have two suggestions in that respect. the first is to look into whether you might be eligible for your state's medicaid program, esp if you left this job and could not find another quickly (in that case, your income would be lower and more likely to be within the income limits for eligibility). second is to check out a list of resources we have for finding free/low-cost medical care; you can see this at http://forums.webmd.com/3/depression-exchange/forum/6522 (first and tenth posts).

i send you caring thoughts; please keep us posted on how you are doing.

-- susie margaret
what good is gold, or silver too, if your heart's not good and true -- hank williams, sr.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.