Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Tramadol & Depression
Ilbeityetanotherpainpatient posted:
I have been on various anti-depressants, even before I developed a chronic pain condition. I was wondering if anyone has experience/knowledge with/about Tramadol being used as an effective anti-depressant.

It is working for me, but it was prescribed to treat my chronic pain-which it doesn't help. I have noticed it works better than any other anti-depressant I've tried in the past 15 years.

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure how to go about explaining my experience with depression, which I find a sensitive topic. But I'm willing to share more info if necessary.

So my questions: Is it ok to disclose to my doctor that I have been treating my depression with Tramadol. Has anyone else had success with this form of treatment?

Thank you, PainPatient

An_247962 responded:
http://www.natural-holistic-health.com/ultram-for-depression/

zaketaz responded:
I'm prescribed Tramadol for pain, and I haven't noticed it helping me either. But If it was me, I would let your Dr know it isn't helping for pain, but it seems to be helping with your depression.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hello- red tape first. Tramadol is not approved for depression. It is not approved for the treatment of fibromylagia but does have very good studies showing its effectiveness. It is not approved, nor studied in depression. Howvever it does have serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibition similar to EffexorXR, Pristiq, Cymbalta... Tramadol likely is not as potent or effective as these full blown antidepressants but sometimes patients do get less depressed. The word of warning though is that tramadol is a narcotic and is addictive...

nativeco responded:
I have never heard of Tramadol being used as an antidepressant. It is used for pain and is an opiate. It is habit-forming and shouldn't be stopped quickly. I'd let your doctor know all the truths you should or you are just wasting your money. There are antidepressants like Cymbalta that treat depression and pain. I get more pain relief with Etodolac (an anti-inflammatory, prescription,anti-inflammatory). I'd advise taking it a little as possible due to possible liver,kidney issues-which can be monitored. Neurontin (gabepentin) is an anti-seizure drug, but is often used for pain. It has fewer possible side effects than many medications. I wouldn't recommend self-treatment. You could suggest some of these meds to your doctor and see what they say. Let him taper you off the tramadol if you have become 'addicted' to it.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

rohvannyn
You are special. I just want to let you know what a wonderful person you are. You give great advice. You're a very giving person...and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.