Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Wellbutrin and Lamictal
pgarcia43 posted:
I'm taking 200 mg of Wellbutrin SR and 360 mg of Lamictal. I went to two psychiatrists just out of school, and I'm not comfortable at all with these pills. I don't have a psychiatrist, but my primary care doctor is prescribing them to me now.

I've read that Wellbutrin XL is better than Wellbutrin SR. And that you should be cautious about taking a convulsion/seizure medication and Wellbutrin.

Thank you for any input you can give me.

deasertrose responded:
years ago I took wellbutrin sr and ritalin and I had a couple of seizures so I stopped taking the ritalin. Now I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin xl and 200 of lamictal for years and I'm ok. I also take many other drugs that may cause seizures and nothing has happened. Just pay attention on how you feel.
take care

deasertrose responded:
lamictal is used to control seizures. I take to many meds to remember what they do and don't do.

pgarcia43 replied to deasertrose's response:
Thank you very much. So you think Wellbutrin XL is better than Wellbutrin SR?

deasertrose replied to pgarcia43's response:
I don't know I took Wellbutrin SR along time ago. I don't even know if any of my meds. are working for me now. I take 7 pilss so I don't know what works and what doesn't or if I even need to be taking anything. I wouldn't suggest this but I'm thinking of stopping them all just to see whats what. I'm gonna read up on Wellbutrin XL and SR.

TMSNeuro replied to deasertrose's response:
Wellbutrin does lower your seizure threshold and adding a stimulant lowers it even more. Yes, be careful.
Lamictal requires very monitored titration or it can cause Stephen Johnson Syndrome. Do not just stop taking it.

deasertrose replied to pgarcia43's response:
Wellbutrin SR and WEllbutrin XL are basically the same. Wellbutrin SR you take 2 times a day and Wellbutrin XL you take 1 time a day. Hope this helps.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.