Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Is there such a thing as grieving over a pet.
beautifulbuffalo posted:
My cat of 15 years I had to put down as her liver was failing and she was suffering. I held her in my arms as she went to sleep. All I can think about is that moment. I'm so sad over this but people tell me to basicaly get over it is was just an animal. But it was my baby. All 15 years she never went over 11 lbs. but when she died she was 5 lbs. How do I get over this. My husband says no more cats. He doesn't like them. He says animals don't belong in the house.
Broken heart.

Take the Poll

Can you grive over an anmimal's death
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
  • Yes
vote
View Poll Results

lissmeanstrouble responded:
My heart breaks for you! If my little Rosie left this earth, I know I would be soooo sad! She is my baby too, she follows me everywhere, my dad calls her ultra kitty, cause she always wants to play.
Im so glad my husband loves her too, cause she would get jealous of him if they did not get along. I wish your husband would change his mind, cause I think cats are wonderful pets.

katmandulou responded:
You will never "get over it", but you will find peace. It might take a while, but you will get through it.

I held my 19-yr old first cat when she passed in the middle of the night; my 18 yr old second cat when she left us at the vet's office; and I had my hand on my step/lab mix when she left us. Each animal left us and left marks behind (and I'm not talking scars) - they left marks on our hearts too.

You will miss her, but you will get through it. Warm kitty kisses to comfort you,
Lou

GBCatLady responded:
Of course you will grieve over an animal's death! It's a sad fact, but I have grieved more over most of my pets' deaths than I've grieved for most human deaths I've seen in my life.

Demons2011 replied to GBCatLady's response:
No question we grieve over the loss of a pet. More so for dogs than cats. (That will stir something up. Bad, bad Demons.) I have pictures hanging on the wall of our previous pet, still reach out and touch sometimes. Animals may have qualities we attribute as "people" qualities. They are still animals. At least we can "put them to sleep" if they are suffering.

totalyfedup responded:
Hi, I know how you feel, I had to put my cat down last year and it was one of the hardest things I had to do. She was my baby too.One of the things that really botherd me is when I would come home and she wasen't there to greet me. I swore up and down that I would never ever get another cat. But being alone was starting to get to me big time. So last month I adopted a kitten, and then last week I adopted another one, I wanted her to have a pal. They are really sweet kittens and I love them, but I do notice that I am holding back a bit, I guess I am a little scared to feel to much for them because I don't want to have that kind of hurt again.
I really am sorry about you cat and I hope your husband comes around.

tfu
need support

lornaD responded:
I so understand how you feel.We have had many cats and suffered so much each time one of them died.However our most beloved is 16 years old now and I dread the day when she will pass on or even worse if we have to decide to put her to sleep.She is so good and so attached to me.She is my baby, my companion, the light of my life.I have lost many people I loved but I know that I will cry more tears for my adored pet than I have shed for any person I lost.I doubt that I will ever get through the pain.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
29 of 37 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.