Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Why did I bother?
Anon_152804 posted:
I went to a support group meeting tonight and I left feeling worse than when I entered. I was having a f --- up day. I figured that this would be an opportunity for me to vent so that I can begin to put things in order to get through the week. I have a problem verbally expressing myself. I don't let many people in my circle so this group had once been a safe haven for me. But today I didn't feel safe. I felt violated. So many judgements. Many of them suggested a day program and a leave of absence from work. Average people can't just walk away from their careers. And who wants to spend their days in a treatment program that's not court ordered or medically necessary. I have never been to the hospital for depression like many of them. They talk about going to the hospital like its vacation. But I never judge. Now today they want to lock me away. Should I go back. Or should this be my exit.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi there -

So sorry to hear about this. Can you talk with the leader privately to talk about what you experienced last night?

If this is not your usual experience with the group, do you think should you continue to talk more about your situation and leaving a job for treatment is not an option. Maybe they can offer other suggestions for tackling your stressful work environment and treatment for your depression.

Hoping you have a bit more clarity this morning,
Elizabeth

lissmeanstrouble replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I dont think you should be so upset with them, it sounds like they are trying to help, maybe they didnt realize you arent able to leave from work.... I dont understand what your career is personally, so I would think that your boss should be understanding of a hard-time especially if you could get a doctor to recommend the treatment!
I really dont think it sounds too shabby of an idea, maybe you should give them another chance to hear you out.

dwashvp replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
I thought that she would see my uneasiness and call me. i don't want to call her because at this point i don't think she cares. i was hopeful that i would have a good experience but i have enough beating me up in life i don't need another group to do the same. All depressed people don't go the hospital because of suicide attempts or manic episodes, I'm one of those people. If my sharing has given the idea that i need an outpatient programs, then they really don't know me

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

safe AD to take with tramadol.
my doctor just put me on tramadol and i take cymbalta. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.