What to do
An_248200 posted:
Over several weeks I have felt pretty pointless as if I;m just wasting space by being alive. I mean I don't really have any problems. Im 34 with no children, spouse, or boyfriend and have a job that I enjoy. But I am so unhappy everyday and I feel guilty because they're are so many people living with diseases and other issues and yet find ways to enjoy life. But everyday I come home and cry uncontrollably. I cant talk to anyone about it because I don't need to bear them with my issues. I just want to have a genuine smile instead of a fake one and for once feel good about myself otherwise Im not sure how much longer Im going to last.

Jeune1 responded:
I'm sorry you're going through this. I don't know if this will be good news or bad news but you sound a lot like me when I was first diagnosed with depression. Including wondering how I could be so sad when there was "nothing wrong" with me AND not wanting to talk to anyone because I didn't want to be a burden.

I guess it is bad news because who wants to be depressed? But it is good news because it is an illness for which there is treatment, just like any other illness. It can be helped with talk therapy, pharmaceutical management or a combination of the two.

Based on personal experience I urge you to see a professional sooner rather than later. Like any persistent disease it might reach the point where you can't function. And to me, the weird thing about depression is the worse it gets the less likely you are to be motivated to seek help. It sort of self-perpetuates, I think.

But whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll keep checking in here. Take care - J

TMSNeuro replied to Jeune1's response:
Great advice, Jeune. I agree totally. Seek out help before it gets out of hand. The sooner you seek guidance the easier it will be to treat.