Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Caregiver Double Dosing CRIMINAL??
An_248215 posted:
Hi. I know a man who is on antidepressants prescribed by his doctor, and this man's girlfriend is doubling his dosage without the doctors consent or knowledge. She is trying to get him to sign over all his property into her name. The man is elderly. She has done other things in the past too, but what I am wondering, is, isn't this CRIMINAL?? I want to turn her in as this could be hazardous to him..I am not sure how long this has been going on..he has been on this new drug for about 2 months, so not sure when she started doubling...I do not know if he has had any bloodwork since this started to alert the physician..If anyone knows anything about this, I would really appreciate it...Thank you..

lissmeanstrouble responded:
As a medical assistant, I would say no to filing a police report. Where im from that would be a joke.

You may want to tell his pharmacy, or his doctor that she is doubling his dose.

Normally when a patient doubles up on their dose, they end up running out of medication before they are due to run out, hence raising a red-flag in the pharmacy because the patient is coming to get more medicine in half the time they should.

The pharmacy will usually decline the fill until further notice from the patients physician.

Depending on exactly what kind of medication he is on, his reactions and risk vary.

If these are norcotics and she is using them to fool him into signing his life away then I am sure the doctor will alert the proper person, like his power of attorney.

And attorneys arent normally paid to be freindly, like a doctor. His attorney is getting paid to make sure that things are legal, and so... whoever is in charge of this mans living will, is most likely the person who should know about what you seem to be referring to as a gold digger....

SharonTNBC replied to lissmeanstrouble's response:
Thank you for the quick response. He does not have a power of attorney as he is still functioning, but has a lot of forgetfulness. He lets her wait on him. So, she is in charge of all his meds and he just takes them as she gives them..But, she is angry that he does not sign over his place. She has only been with him going on 3 years. She really abuses him in other ways as well. I will alert his doctor but you are probably right. The pharmacy will probably catch it..if I find out that they give him the prescription too soon, I will make a call..it cannot be good to double an antidepressant since he is taking other pills too..not sure what, I think high blood pressure too..Thanks again for all your help..The man has been very kind and I do not want to see him suffer...

Jeune1 responded:
If you are in the states there are agencies that investigate allegations of elder abuse. Try that.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon -

If you suspect abuse please contact one of the numbers listed for Elder Care on our crisis assistance page.

Crisis Assistance

Please keep us posted and hope all turns out OK for this gentleman.

Elizabeth

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

I m so horrible about my life right now
Actually I m manager of the bar, and everybody think I m a nice bartender, but I don`t feel happy to talk to people anymore, I feel I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.