Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

New here and struggling with depression
An_248353 posted:
I have been sober from drugs and alcohol for almost 6yrs and I'm 29. I recently started smoking cigarettes after 5yrs quit, that sucks and I know it won't help. I definitely have been depressed on and off for years with no diagnosis from a professional. I don't trust taking pharmaceuticals due to the ridiculous amount of side affects and horrible relationship between Big Pharma and the government. I don't believe in a lot of the psychological theories out there and have a lot of spiritual beliefs I wish I could live by more fully. I think I have unresolved issues and negative beliefs that have always been holding me back. I can't shake this and it has been slowly getting worse. I am recently on unemployment, used to work out heavily and eat healthy but don't now, don't drive and have never had health insurance, and in general I just don't feel emotionally driven. I go to AA, try to live by spiritual beliefs, and help others, but still remain very lost with no direction. Like I said, I don't have money but spiritually I know I'm being driven to face this somehow at this time in my life. I'm sure many others are worse off and my prayers and sympathy are with you. Any advice or suggestions, thanks.

funfearlessfemale2 responded:
Hi An.....

I know you are adverse to going to a psych but would therapy be beneficial for you at this point? At least to help you get in touch with what may be causing the depression....
I commend you for your sobriety......

-Brooke

deepdee responded:
hi
i was about your age when first diagnosed with major depressive disorder. that was almost 25 years ago. i've been on meds. ever since and i do hate it.....having to rely on meds. and being labeled mentally ill....but...it is what it is and the alternative is being miserable which is no way to live. i also have no insurance, but have found free mental health help. check in your area for places like mental health mental retardation(MHMR). they are very kind and know their stuff. as far as meds. go you have to know that when they list side effects they list ALL POSSIBLE side effects but that dosent mean you'll have them. i've been on lots of anti-depressants and the only side effects i've ever had was dry mouth, some constipation, and lower sex drive. the trade off isnt so bad when you consider quality of life. hope this helps you some.

God bless,

D

itmatsb responded:
You have a lot of problems in your life exacerbated by depression. Look at your posting.

Depression goes far beyond being productive and happy. Depression is linked with major health conditions, including coronary heart disease, diabetes, cancer, chronic pain, disability, chronic fatigue, osteoporosis and obesity. It is now known to be a disease of the whole body. Look up telomeres and depression on-line to confirm this.

So before you write off medications, think about the harm that you are doing to your body. BTW, anti-depressants are also used to help people quit smoking.

If you indeed have a chemical imbalance in your body, you cannot fight depression any better than a diabetic can fight without insulin.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.