Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Oversleeping
sunny_63 posted:
Does anyone have a problem with oversleeping? I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder more than 15 years ago. I've been on 3 different medications. My current med is Zoloft 100 mg and Xanax .05 mg at night before bed. Lately, for some reason, I have been sleeping 10 to 12 hours. I don't know what is wrong with me. I work 3rd shift and my sleep is very interrupted. I've been taking melatonin in the am the get to sleep. I usually wake up after 4 or 5 hours of sleep, read for awhile, then go back to sleep for 5 or more hours. I can't figure out if it's depression or my sleep schedule messed up. When I wake up, I just lay there and don't want to get up. And I'm still so tired and unmotivated. The doc just upped my antidepressants to 100 mg from 50 mg. I'm thinking maybe I should go back to the 50 mg. I don't know. Any thoughts?

jessicabrooke responded:
I was diagnosed with MDD about 14 years ago. I too have a problem with oversleeping and always feeling very tired and unmotivated. It's very hard for me to get out of bed in the morning. I think it is a symptom of depression but I also know it is a side effect of many antidepressants so it is hard for me to know exactly where it comes from. I am on several antidepressants right now, but not Zoloft. I took Zoloft many years ago, but I still remember how exhausted it made me feel and I eventually was switched to a different antidepressant because it became unbearable for me. I recommend talking to the doctor who prescribed Zoloft for you so that maybe he can change your dosage or your medication. It might help. I do wonder if anyone else in this community has issues with oversleeping and constant lack of energy. I would love to hear about other experiences and suggestions for how to increase energy and motivaton.

itmatsb responded:
You don't say if the Zoloft has helped you in the past. When did the sleeping problem begin--when you started the 3rd shift or when you increased the Zoloft? Why did the doctor increase the Zoloft? Answers to these questions would help to give you answers.

People are not always able to handle sleeping during the day from 3rd shift work. There are plenty of studies on that. But why doesn't your doctor give you some sleep medication instead of the melatonin? You have no idea what quantity is in it or if it has impurities or toxins in it. There are many different sleep medications. I take Trazodone for my fibromyalgia, but it does put me to sleep very well. But everyone is different. It may not work for you, but some sleep medication could greatly help you.

I hope that you will answer back. I do feel for you having the difficulties.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.