Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Seriously Bummed Out
GiGi1984 posted:
I am married to a wonderful man. He is kind, generous affectionate and a total guffball. He is without a doubt my best friend but there is a problem. He suffers from depression and he changes completely. He is sullen and distant toward me. He thinks everyone is out to ruin him in every way possible and "we" are all plotting and manipulating his miserable life. Everything is negative to him. I am a happy and opptimistic person who enjoys the small things in life and try to reason with him or cheer him out of it but I fail every time. I don't know what to do anymore and am losing my patience. I try to remember that he is sick but it is a struggle for me. I have never posted before so please excuse me if I missed the point but I am lonely and tired. Any advice or support would be wonderful. Thank you.

chez1 responded:
Hi GiGi
I am really sorry that you are having such a hard time of it at the moment, I think it is wonderful that you are supporting your husband, it shows how much you love and care for him.
I feel it is important to point out that you also need to look after you, have you got friends, family to speak to about how you are feeling, if not have you thought about counselling for yourself to give you the opportunity to explore your feelings.
Is your husband on medication, seeing a therapist? How long has he been depressed, does he have understanding that he is unwell?
Keep posting and let us know how you are getting on
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily...........Zig Ziglar

GiGi1984 replied to chez1's response:
Thanks Chez
Thankfully I do have family although they live far away but I find it hard to tell friends what is going on. Some of the things my husband says when depressed sound so outlandish and follow so little reasoning that I can't even explain it to a stranger.
He was taking Paxil but he struggled with side-effects, so his doc put him on the dreaded Wellbutrin and all hell broke loose. He went into a tailspin on Wellbutrin and it took me 6 months to convince him that he wasn't just crazy but that there was a problem with the meds. He is now taking Zoloft but hates the idea of taking meds. I had to tell him that I would leave if he stopped taking the medication. I don't meen to sound harsh and I know that it is a sickness but if he isn't willing to do something as simple as take a pill each morning to help us get through these episodes them I feel like I am living out a prison sentence with no hope of parole.
I have read what other people have posted and it seems that they are living with constant depression. My husband is more like a set of huricanes. He can be laughing, affectionate and looking forward to the future and then within 10 minutes all is bad in the world and he has completely shut down from everything. Do you have an idea what this is? Thanks and sorry for the rant.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.