Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Fear, Anxiety, and Anguish
An_248481 posted:
I am not normally the type of person to yak about my problems to strangers. I talk about my feelings with my wife, all my feelings, and I am lucky that she is helpful, loving, and supportive, but there comes a time when you need some outside source of input. For many years, more than a decade, I have felt like I might need help, but never so much as recently. I am living like a recluse, not wanting to leave the house for anything. I do, obviously, for important things like taking kids to school, or to the doctor. I even have a day when I go spend some time with my dad and a couple of friends. Other than that I never want to leave.

I don't really know what to say from here. Like I said, I'm not really accustomed to talking about my problems with people... As much as I am reclusive, I don't want to be in my house anymore, at least not THIS house. I feel trapped here. We are under a mountain of debt after lay-offs, trying to get back on our feet but with impending shut-off notices and the threat of eviction looming. There is no help for us anywhere, and the recent income we have started earning is only a fraction of the income we had before lay-offs, when money was even tight then.

On top of those issues the house is going into disarray. I have 3 young children - 5 and under - as well as three teenagers from a previous marriage. The teens come over sporadically, choosing their own schedule between here and mom's. No one seems to want to help with the house work, and filth just seems to keep piling up. I always have to clean up after everyone. I know it seems like a trifling problem, one I know many housewives have had to put up with for ages, but I am not used to this kind of behavior. My family always cleaned up after themselves and helped upkeep the home. When my wife and I met she was always immaculate, to the point of OCD, but for the past year or so it seems like I am the only one who cares about picking up. Even simple things like throwing an empty mac-n-cheese box into the recycle bin, instead of leaving it sit on the counter just three feet from it, go undone. And as many times as I ask, or point it out, it remains a kind of joke. With the whole lot being reluctant to help out with household upkeep I have thrown in the towel myself...I don't even want to do anything more than sustain myself because taking care of every single person as if they're as incapable as the youngest children is just too much.

Cleanliness isn't the sole point of my depression, there are many factors including, but not limited to, not being where I want to be in life, not feeling good enough about my skills and talents, anxiety stemming from problems occurring in my sister's family, and my own weight. I have always been overweight, but have maintained about the same consistent weight for the last 14 years, give or take 10 pounds, but the past couple months - during the hardest bout of this depression - I have gained a lot of weight. My sleeping pattern is out of control, too. I have never needed a lot of sleep. For the past 15 years or more I have only needed/gotten about 4-5 hours of sleep a night, even less if I needed to work hard. I could go a day or more with no sleep and recharge after my normal night. Lately I have stayed up all night long only napping a couple hours in the early afternoon. Just the other day, though, I felt bad and laid down for 18 hours straight, only to stay up for the next 26, then leveled off into a normal-person's pattern - from about 10 or 11 until 6.

Anxiety is making me feel more helpless and hopeless. Every time I think about one of my problems my chest tightens and I just want to go to sleep. I don't want to deal with this stuff anymore. I don't "seriously" consider suicide as a viable option, but I joke about "just going away" sometimes, though there isn't really a planned destination.

I don't know what I expect, if anything, but I need to get a dialogue going with SOMEONE...

Thanks for listening.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon - I'll dialogue with you! Much of your story probably speaks to many here - feeling trapped and anxious, financial worries, sleep issues and weight gain.

I encourage you to leave the house - today if possible - and visit your primary care physician. Bring with you a list of your symptoms or simply print out this post and share the highlights. It sounds like medication or counseling could be a huge help for you right now. Even if your feelings of depression are "cause related" (due to finances or another life event), you can take steps to feel better now. Your doctor can refer you to other medical professionals who can work with you to reverse the feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.

I hear you about not "seriously" considering hurting yourself but I would like to point you to the WebMD Crisis Resource Links . There are phone numbers and other resources that you can access 24/7.

Please check back in and let me know that you saw this!

Haylen

chez1 responded:
Hi Anon
Welcome to this community, you will find that many of us share some or all of what you are feeling. I understand that it is difficult to express to others all that you are feeling so I hope you find posting here helpful as no one will judge, we will read, share experiences and give advice as we feel well enough to do so.
As Haylen says, keep in touch and let us know how you are doing
People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily...........Zig Ziglar

deasertrose responded:
I feel for you but as Haylen says you need to find a DR. or therapist to talk to. I know I would crazy if I didn't have ant support from outside the house. I also so belong to a group. Nami National Allience for the Mentally ill and it's free. There may be a chapter ther where you leave. Keep writing cause we keep reading. I just don't post much cause I don't know what to say. My thoughts are stupid.
Take care

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.