Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

increased depression
jayhawk posted:
For the past 9 years I have been on meds for major depression-recurrent. I am 58 years old-female. I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 35- no periods after that, but for the past 4 months I have been experiencing night sweats. My depression has gotten a lot worse. I have gained weight, lost all interests in any activity, I spend most of my day laying on the bed-I do not clean my house like I used to and I don't feel like myself anymore. I hate the way I feel-depressed, lonely, apathetic, guilty-could this be menopause?

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi jayhawk and welcome.

Some of the emotional changes experienced by women undergoing menopause can include irritability, feelings of sadness, lack of motivation, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, fatigue and mood changes. Read more here: The Emotional Roller Coaster of Menopause

It sounds like menopause could be a contributing factor. Of course, it's impossible to diagnose over the internet and I am not a doctor.

Please call your health care professional ASAP and make an appointment to discuss all of the symptoms you described above. You deserve to feel like yourself again!

Haylen

ajavou responded:
Hi. I too have severe depression and am pretty much thru menopause. I am 59. I feel like you do. No interest in anything except my family, have some night sweats, no energy, can't make myself do "anything" except what I absolutely have to like go to the dr. Mine is definately not menopause. Mine I believe to be my depression and anxiety which has been increasingly worse since my last dr. put me on a med that I kept telling him was doing me no good and he kept upping the dose. I have finally changed drs and am hoping for some inprovement. Are you seeing a psych dr? If not, you should ideally. And don't be afraid to change. I am on my 3rd and a good one can be hard to find depending on where you live. They are rather limited where I live. Keep me posted on what happens and I sure wish you luck as my depression has been pretty much since my teens.

itmatsb replied to ajavou's response:
To ajavou:
Yes, keep trying the various anti-depresssants. It is always the best strategy to try increasing an anti-depressant before switching to another one. But glad that you have now found a doctor that suits you better. I too have had long-term depression since even as a child. We definatley need to be on anti-depressants for the rest of our lives.

And depression can cause many ill effects to the whole body. Just look up telomeres and depression and you will see that there is evidence that depression also increases your risk of osteoporosis, strokes, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc. I am a case in point having had a stroke and bad osteoporosis by age 56. Nothing to fool around with.

itmatsb responded:
To jayhawk,
I also suffered from depression for many years until menopause when my depression got far worse. Plus I had memory problems, irritability, and fatigue as mentioned by Halen. So be sure to see a doctor and get on an anti-depressant that works for you. You may just need an increase in your current anti-depressant. That's what greatly helped me at one point when I became nearly suicidal. Just increasing it took away my depression completely within 4 weeks later.

Also look at my posting to avajou about the effects from depression to the whole body.

Menopause can be a b___. Wish you the best.
Sara

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Group for Families and friends of people with depression
Since most of the family support sites are 404, I set one up for friends, family and spouses of people with depression. Actually, everyone ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.