Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

How do I "snap out of it"?
Burra posted:
I have never written on one of these before but have no one else to talk to . Maybe just getting it out will help, probably no one will answer and that will be okay. My daughter got her children taken away today, she is bi-polar and a drug user. Her children, my grandbabies are 1, 2 and 1 week old. They are coming to live with me. I am waiting for the baby to get here, they are finishing my background check. The older two are with their dad for a couple of days and then are coming here. While waiting for my granddaughter to be brought here, I can't stop crying. I have had problems with depression including 2 suicide attempts 5 years ago, for most of my life. I am so sad for my daughter because I can't imagine life without my children and I ache for what she is going through. I blame myself, after all I did raise her. I am so sad for the kids who are going to not understand why they can't go to Mommy's house, they are too young for me to explain this to. I am alone, I have no one to talk to, no one to help me, no one in my family who gives a damn, they are all a bunch of self-centered, judgemental pseudo-christians who just like to pile on to whatever is already going on to make sure I and my child feel as bad as possible about ourselves. I need to know how to stop crying. I can't focus, I feel sick to my stomach, I am so scared I won't be able to do this.

Jeune1 responded:
Hi and welcome. I'm not surprised you're feeling so overwhelmed. Three babies all at once is a lot to do and the circumstances behind why you have to care for them are also stressful. Having struggled with depression on and off for years, I can't think of any way to just "snap out of it." I think you're being way too hard on yourself if you expect to be able to do so.

I'm guessing Child Protective Services are giving you custody? Is there someone in that agency you can talk to about getting support? I understand if you're afraid saying the wrong thing to that agency will mean you don't get custody but I'm guessing there are support groups for people in your situation and having someone else to talk to might help a lot.

Beyond that, how have you dealt with your depression in the past? Did you see a therapist or psychiatrist?

At the very least I hope you'll keep checking in here.

lissmeanstrouble responded:
You can do this!
You will need the support of friends and family at times, so I would suggest to your pseudo-christian folks, that they either take on some of the responsibilty to help, or shut their mouths, because only god can judge you, and they are only human, it is not their job to be judging you or anyone else.

Just know that they SHOULD mind their busniss. I have a friend who sounds just like your daughter, except her kids arent getting taken away, its her housing assistance. she has 2 seven year olds a 12 yr old a 2 year old a one year old and! a 2 month old.
Its hard but she makes it!

itmatsb responded:
It is not at all your fault that your child is bi-polar and is a drug user. Bipolar is a very difficult disease. You know how hard things have been for you with your depression. You don't mention anything about what anti-depressants you have tried. If you have tried ant-depressants which haven't worked, then go to a good psychiatrist who can fine tune your medications. If you feel that you cannot manage your grandchildren at this time, it is okay. To care for 3 children so young is a lot for anyone. Or see if the father can care for some of the children uuntil you are in better shape. And don't pay any attention to your cruel relatives. They don't have a clue about anything.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.