Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Where to go for help?
psuther posted:
I have been struggling with depression and ptsd since I was eighteen years old. I have found a little relief from antidepressant and anxiety medication, but am not where I want to be at all. I have also been told by the counselor I was seeing that I have dissociative identity disorder. I am still not entirely sure of that. I do have a lot of reasons to be depressed, but it is hard to deal with the emotions alone and has ruined so really important relationships. I push people away and seem to withdraw into my own little world. I have some heart conditions that are likely to require one or two more surgeries and had an extremely traumatic childhood. I have worked with the counselor on processing some of the trauma, but have given up because notthing seems to change. EMDR did nothing to help. I have times that I don't want to do anything (get out of bed or be around anyone) Other times I just feel like crying for no reason. I got really irritated that she was having me weigh when I came for sessions. I was afraid of gaining weight. One of the main reasons I quit therapy in all honesty.

Due to the diabetis, heart conditions, asthma, and ptsd, I have a hearing with disability. I was on disability up until age 18, but wanted to try to work. I couldn't do it any more, working three jobs, 120 hours a week was literally killing me. I am extremely nervous about the hearing. I don't trust people very well and and used to trying to put up a facade.

Take the Poll

What would be the best avenue for treatment?
  • different medications
  • different therapy
  • continued therapy with the origional therapist
  • getting through the disaiblity situation will alleviate symptoms
vote
View Poll Results

lexismom11 responded:
We all know that medication alone can't cure depression or other mental illnesses. A combination of therapy and medication will have the best results. There are different therapies out there to try. It sounds like there is a lot of processing that needs to be done. Continuing to do this will eventually lead to you feeling better, but your heart has to be in it. Good luck with your hearing, I hope everything works out for you.

psuther replied to lexismom11's response:
Thanks for the encouragement. I know better than to expect overnigh change or relief from therapy. I just get frustrated wth the process. Although there has been a lot of growth. I have counseling today will see how it goes.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

rohvannyn
You are special. I just want to let you know what a wonderful person you are. You give great advice. You're a very giving person...and a ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.