Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Disability Retirement at 49
beautifulbuffalo posted:
I have been on disability for 2 weeks now and feel so lost. It's depressing me so much. I have no hobbies. I can only do so much cleaning in the house. I have been babysitting for my 14 month only grandson. And getting a chance to see my 3 week old grandson. But that isn't enough for me. My psychiatrist says it should take some of the stress off of me from my job that I did for 21 years.

I'm just feeling so depressed and I can't see my Dr. every 2 weeks like I used to. Now it's once a month or more becasue I don't have the money. I lost 20,000 in my paycheck by going on disability. I was told I could apply for SSI and that might give me a little more money.

My husband says don't be depressed as I did my time through a lot of pain but I didn't give up. And now it's time for someone to help me. I have been getting a chance to see my Dr.s whenever instead of always making 4-5pm appts. I finally get to see a remotologist the end of November.

Any help out there. I just want to curl up and cry.
bearutiful buffalo

lexismom11 responded:
Your husband is right, you put a lot of time in. It sounds like you have some pain issues as well and being able to work that long with the pain is extremely great. You deserve to have some time where you can focus on taking care of yourself. As far as hobbies, I don't really have any either so it's hard to help you with that one. There are some people on the boards who are into crafting though.

Maybe there is a support group you could join where you could meet face-to-face with others and get feedback. Some support groups meet on a weekly basis and this could give you some support for those times when you can't see you doc.

beautifulbuffalo replied to lexismom11's response:
Thank You for your input. I was in a support group once and loved it and always looked forward to it even though it was once every 2 weeks. Problem is it ended and never started up. A therapist started it and she doesn't have time to do any more groups.

Your all right I did My time in pain and lots of stress on a daily basis. I miss the money not being able to buy what I want when I'm out.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

leftygolfer48 replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Look at your local county county, my county parks dept has programs that I take to socialize with others, I am in the same situation as you, I am a 50-year old male who worked all my life, but the pain in my neck and back and the depression has got so bad that I can't do a lot of the things I used to do, I watch my grandson and walk, paint, read and go to park dept classes to be around other people, it helps.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.