Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

depressed
bjnewcomb posted:
I know I am depressed and maybe bipolar. I have the symptoms and it runs in my family. I was wondering what can I do at home to help. a big part of my depression is that I am always stuck at home with my three kids. I never get time to myself. I need help. I have been on anti-depressants before, but stop taking them because my in-laws kept on fussing and filling my husbands head with dumb ideas that I would hurt our kids or myself. I really need help. I don't know what to do. I can't get anytime to myself not even 30 mins to workout. what can I do to feel happy again

lexismom11 responded:
I would definitely try the meds again. Maybe this time, take your husband with you to your appointment so he can as the doctor questions and get reassurance from him/her that its ok to take the meds and they will help you. You would need to see the doctor anyways so he/she can properly diagnose whether it is depression or bipolar disorder since depression does occur in bipolar disorder. The difference is bipolar comes with mania. The other thing to do is talk to your husband about having some time to yourself. Not a ton of time, but something so you can relax a little. You have to have some time for yourself. Even if it is just so you can go work out.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome!

It sounds like you are having a rough time - I completely understand the feeling that you don't have any time to yourself. When you're watching three kids, you don't!

Lexismom has a good suggestion to revisit medication. Taking your husband with you to an appointment is a great idea. I'm guessing that your in-laws are not medical professionals? Please do pick up the phone to make an appointment today!

Here are two resources that can give you some ideas about how to feel better now. However, please don't start or stop any alternative remedies or dietary supplements without seeing a medical professional first: Bipolar Treatments: Lifestyle, Diet & Exercise, Supplements and Well-being

Depression Home Remedies, Diet & Exercise

The best thing I did when I was home with my kids was to enforce a mandatory "Mommy 30 Minutes" time right when my husband walked in the door. I would either take off out the door for a walk, lock myself in my room with a book or take a long shower/bubble bath. My husband wasn't crazy about it but once he saw that it helped my mood, he was on board.

It also helped to get out of the house with the kids. Just a walk around the block was helpful and I also thought taking a picnic to a pretty park helped me feel better.

Please keep checking back in here - feeling isolated is one of the biggest challenges of being home with kids!

Haylen

sgraber47562 responded:
I know how you feel. I was a stay at home for six years to my three kids. I had no help and could not even go to the doctor. My husbands family would also not mind there own bussiness. It made me have alot of self doubt. Now I miss those days when my kids were so little. They are all in school now. Your kids will be in school before you know it. Then you might even miss these days. Set ground rules with your husband about his family. Its your life and you know what is best for your family. I am also on anti depressants and get alot of complaits about it. But now I have the self esteem to tell people its none of there bussiness. Just enjoy your kids while they are young. They will be gone before you know it. Good Luck

music_frenzie responded:
Regardless if you are clinically depressed or not, every mom knows you need some time for just you. It honestly took me a while to get things figured out.

I would definitely try the meds again. And I also agree with lexismom. Take your husband to the appointment with you. As far as the in-laws go, you could try putting them in their place by asking them where they got their medical degrees. It usually stumps my in-laws, to be honest.

I would also try talking to your husband about scheduling a much needed date night. As stressed as you are, don't forget that your husband is also getting stressed. You could get your in-laws to watch the kids for a few hours. Maybe, your in-laws will see how much, even though you love them to death, your kids can drive you up the wall. If the date night is a success, try to have one every other week. This way, when you're feeling really low, you and your husband have something to look forward to.

bjnewcomb responded:
thank you all for your help. I am going to the doctor on tuesday, and hoping that I can get help

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

more to bipolar treatments
I'm bipolar and just went through what I could find in WebMD for this. I noticed a piece is missing. In addition to medication and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.