Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

I'm so depressed
beautifulbuffalo posted:
My is upside down. It doesn't help that I ran out Xanax, my thyroid medicine is screwed up, my iron is low and my vitamin D is low. I'm a mess.

I've recently been forced into retirement due to my health. I struggled at work but it was all I knew for the past 22 years. I raised my children until they started school before I went back to work. Then I worked at the same job under hostile conditions for the past 2 years. Now I;'m home and don't know what to do with myself. I have no hobbies. To top all of the above my 27 year old daughter's marriage failed and is getting a divorce and has come home to live until she can get a job and afford an appartment. She has a 14 month old little boy my Grandson.
If I was younger maybe I could handle things better but I feel like I'm starting the 3rd part of my life on a bad note.

It's depressing me severely. I can't eat, trouble sleeping and I taking sleeping medicine. Stomach in knots all the time. Bottom line I'm stressed.

Need some advice to get me out of this slump. It also doesn't help that the holidays are here and I don't like holidays but the family expects to come to my house for the big meals. Thanksgiving this year here and X-mas at my son's house as he has a new baby boy my 2nd grandson and he wants to do dinner. That will help me out.

Any desperate help out there.
beautiful buffalo
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi beautiful!

"Slump" is how I describe a series of dark days as well - I'm sorry to hear that you're in the middle of one

(((hugs))) to you!

Can you get to your doctor to address the medication, iron and vitamin D? I know that one tiny adjustment or change can make a big difference - good or bad - but let's go with GOOD!

14 months old is adorable....and CRAZY! I can imagine that is adding to your anxiety.

Re: hobbies. What do you enjoy doing? Where I live there are many free/affordable programs and activities available through Parks & Rec, public libraries, museums, etc. One year I decided I would try out yoga so I researched every studio and took the "one free tryout class" at all of them. Getting out trying something new might lead you to a place where you find a passion you haven't discovered before.

Please keep posting here and let me know what city/state you live in. I can find anything with my best friends Dr. Google - might be able to provide some resources.

Another (((HUG))) to you!

Haylen

p.s. If Thanksgiving is too much, you know you can cancel - tell the family to meet at a restaurant or another house!

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
Another p.s. Are you getting any physical activity? Getting my heart pumping greatly helps with my mood.

Some info on how/why here: Exercise & Depression & Endorphins

beautifulbuffalo replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
No I don't get any exercise. My husband says I should get up and wake up then go for a walk as far as I can go because I have a lot of medical problems and come home and shower and clean the house or do some baking which I like to do. I always say if I can get through the morning I can get through the day. I just have no energy to get myself motivated. I don't know if that is my depression or what. I live in the country Caroga Lake , New York. Closest city is Gloversville or Johnstown. Yes having a baby around 24/7 does stress me out. And the more people I have in the house the higher my anxiety is. Makes me just want to cry. I would just love to sleep until 7/8am just once. No I am up between 4-5 every morning. Well thanks for listening.
beautiful buffalo

itmatsb replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
You sound very depressed. Haylen above makes a good point that you should see a doctor about your thryoid, Vitamin D and iron. These changes alone could greatly help your mood. If not, then you should try an anti-depressant. And if you have been used to xanax and now aren't taking it, that could be a major source of your problems.

No hobbies? What did you used to do on weekends and after work? Do those things that you used to like to do. It may just be the depression that you can't find anything that you want to do. So see a doctor to deal with all of your medical issues.

And set boundaries in your life. This year tell the family that you are not up to having Thanksgiving at your home. They can manage. And also set limits with your daughter living with you. Get a job by such and such date, or she may not be motivated to find a job. And won't she get payments from her ex-husband after the divorce?

Things can and will get better. Good luck.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
I also feel that conquering the morning puts me on track for a better day. Lack of energy is absolutely a symptom of depression. Please call your doctor and see if you can get your meds adjusted. Hopefully your energy will come back and your anxiety will lessen.

I'll check some resources in your area and post later - hopefully you can find something that interests you.

But, I urge you to call your doc about your meds first thing, please - keep checking back in and ((hugs))

Haylen

beautifulbuffalo replied to Haylen_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm so down. I feel lazy without any energy. I see a Dr. every 2 months for my thyroid, Vitamin D and iron. I just want to cry. I'm so used to working for 21 years and it was suddenly taken away from me. I can't shop because I have no money coming in. I see my therapist every 2 weeks so she keeps up on my medicine. My mornings being the roughest doesn't help that I get up at 5am. It also doesn't help that my husband isn't around to do things with me. I'm just so bored. I'm suppose to start watching my grandson of 15 months soon as his mother finds a job. As I said they are living with us because she is in the middle of a divorce and I feel the need to help. But I can't imagine being strapped down with a young one faster than me and no car to go anyplace because my daughter will need it until she can afford one. I just want to curl up an cry. I feel so alone. Is there someone out there to help.
BB

beautifulbuffalo replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Talked to my therapist today and we did a survey about Depression and it came back that I was severly depressed. We'll my daughter found a job so starting Saturday I start babysitting my grandson of 15 months. It will change my life as I will have no car to go anyplace as she will have it until she can afford her own.Need to keep myself busy somehow.
BB

itmatsb replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
If you are severely depressed, then how come you aren't taking an anti-depressant? You need it. And your arrangement with your daughter sounds like it will make you even more severely depressed. Have you told your daughter about your feelings? You owe it to her. For example, maybe you could drive her to work so that you can have the car while she is at work.

beautifulbuffalo replied to itmatsb's response:
I am on anti-depressents.
Lithium 300mg 2x day
Xanax 2mg 2x day
Cymbalta 120mg 1xday
Loxapine 20mg 2xday

lexismom11 replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Maybe it is time for a fresh look at meds. Is it time for a change maybe?

beautifulbuffalo replied to lexismom11's response:
I don't know if I need a change in meds or my life is coming down around me. Today is the first day for watching my grandson and all is going fine but I still feel like crying. Bottom line is I am bored with my life. I need a knew life change.
BB

lexismom11 replied to beautifulbuffalo's response:
Do you have any hobbies or interests you could take up. I know there is only so much of one thing you can do, but finding something to break up the day a little may help. I am going to school right now. It gives me something that I have to do everyday.

beautifulbuffalo replied to lexismom11's response:
That is my problem. I have no hobbies. Can't think of any either. I'm so used to working all my life. I just don't know what to do with my time. Now I watch my grandson and I'm stranded at home because my daughter has no car and she just started work so she needs the car until she gets the money to buy one.
BB

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.