Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
not taking meds
An_249114 posted:
Can a therapist or mental health doctor hospitallize you for not taking your meds

lexismom11 responded:
I would think they can't hospitalize you without good reason like if you are suicidal something like that. Not taking your meds is not a good idea but they couldn't hospitalize you for that alone.

Survivor2007 responded:
Absolutely not! Unless you are a danger to yourself or others, you cannot be hospitalized against your will unless someone is willing to file for a competency hearing. At that point, you would be provided free of charge a legal respresentative and an investigator. If you are diagnosed as Severely Mentally Ill....referred to as SMI....and are demonstrating an inablity to care for yourself and as a result you are in danger from your own behavior or your behavior endangers others, it is possible that a public fiduciary can be designated as your legal guardian and can make decisions that are in your best interest. This can be the result of information provided by a therapist or psychiatrist, but the odds are on your side unless you have a history of suicide, crisis response, and demonstrated inability to make sound decisions.
Please elaborate on your question....what symptoms do you have and what diagnosis.....what situation does your question come from. What medication?

boots79 replied to Survivor2007's response:
I don't know why but when I look at my med i feel so sick to my stomach. I know I need to take them because when I don't I get really depressed and want to cut or worst. I was diagnosed with bipolar, borderline personality disorder, and post traumatic stress disorder. They have me on five meds. lithium, welbuterin, buspar, celexa, and seriquil. U am also on 5 medical meds which I haven't been taking either for the same reason. I know it is in my head but I can't help it.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Most states allow a patient to refuse meds unless you get more ill and become a danger to yourself or to others. Here in NY you could then get committed to a hospital against your will but they cannot still make you take meds without a judge's direct order- again unless you are being imminently dangerous. Some states do have assertive community treatment but again a judge might be needed to order this. Failure to comply is contemptnandnyou could get jailed in these cases.

Survivor2007 replied to boots79's response:
That is a lot of medication, and I would be concerned about the interactions of all of those meds together. You have a lot on your plate with the multiple diagnoses that you have. Have you ever been able to get a second opinion regarding your treatment??, And, are you seeing a therapist on a regular basis, or at least a therapeutic social worker?
I have in the past found myself on too many medications at one time.....and it made things worse. I was able to find a new doc and we went through everything I was taking and trimmed it down a bit, removed some meds and added others.....now at a point where they seem relatively balanced. I still have some very rough days, but also some good ones. Also, I do hope that you are seeing a psychiatrist to get your medication and not just your primary care physician. Regular docs are great, but if you are having problems with your medications, you really need to talk with a psychiatrist. Best wishes.....I will watch for your post.....I am sorry that I did not respond sooner.....

itmatsb replied to boots79's response:
Your doctor is responsible for considering any interactions between the meds. If you have a concern about taking so many meds, talk to your doctor about it. Also you might consider another psychiatrist to re-evaluate your meds. And yes, definitely a psychiatrist, not a regular doctor.

I think that you not wanting to take any of your medications which is self-destructive, is part of your illness. Perhaps talking to a therapist could also help you. I hope that you go back on your meds for now so that you don't do something bad to yourself. I'm sure there are others who love you and care about you, even if you don't feel it right now, who will be devastated if you do something to harm yourself. Try reaching out to one of them. Wish you the best.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

safe AD to take with tramadol.
my doctor just put me on tramadol and i take cymbalta. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.