Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Discussing severe depression with psychologist tomorrow...
An_249153 posted:
I'm new here..hello

A little background:
Anyway, I've been battling with depression since I first remember it, around the age of 5. It has progressed, I've been on several medications and have seen psychologists and psychiatrists. I've never been committed (is that what it's called???) or anything like that.

I do have severe depression that comes in bouts and cycles pretty regularly. I decided to get off the meds a year ago and try to help myself...it's come to the point I do need help.

Tomorrow I am talking to a psychologist about what is going on and am going to try to get on a medication or see what they want to do with me...

I have had very serious suicidal thoughts. I won't go into detail as I don't want to cause problems with anyone, but my spouse and parents do know what is going on.

I'm worried about what they're going to do... I live in Utah if that's any help. I'm worried I'll have to go under some sort of watch or something...what do they do with someone with such a severe problem? Like today I have been totally fine, but a few days ago I almost lost it...

Any help would be great I'm sorry this was so long.

Jeune1 responded:
Hi there and welcome. I wouldn't worry about what the psychologist MIGHT do, just focus on letting the therapist help you get better, that means being open with him or her.

I can tell you that during my first MDE I had constant suicidal thoughts and had pretty much stopped functioning (wasn't eating, bathing or leaving the house), I told the therapist all of this and I wasn't committed.

Take care and please keep checking back.

Haylen_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi anon and welcome - I'm so glad you are seeing a doctor! Please check back in and let us know that you are safe and getting treatment - whatever that might be after you talk to your doc. I'm glad that your spouse and parents are in the loop - suffering alone is worse, IMO. Unfortunately, getting off meds without consulting a doctor can have pretty severe effects - don't do that again, OK?

Please don't worry about posts being long - typing out thoughts and feelings can be very helpful. It's often hard to verbalize depression and it's symptoms. I frequently encourage members to print out posts to take to a doctor, therapist or family member to get help.

I'd like to point you towards some resources if you are in immediate need. Crisis Resources Links . There are some phone numbers where you can talk to someone immediately to keep yourself safe.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Haylen

itmatsb responded:
I hope that you are seeing a medical doctor, hopefully a psychiatrist in addition to the psychologist who cannot prescribe any medication to you which you really need with such a severe depression. Take a list of the medications that you tried to treat your depression and tell the doctor, why ones, if any, have helped you in the past. Be honest about yourself so that you can get the proper help which is in your best interest.

I know what you are going through, as I suffered from severe depression in the past, before all the newer anti-depressants were on the market, and had suicidal thoughts which got very serious over several years. If no medication has helped you in the past, I bet that you haven't taken a MAO Inhibitor which was the only one that helped me many years ago. You will get better, but be sure to get medical help. It's worth it. Let me know how you are doing.

itmatsb replied to itmatsb's response:
Sorry, I meant to write "which ones, if any, have helped you in the past."

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
102 of 140 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.