Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
new to this group have questions about ect
wovenway posted:
am 59 yrs old and have been battling depression for most of my adult life. i did pretty well on meds until about 2 yrs ago when they stopped working. we tried different types, different combinations. no luck so even though i swore i would never do it i started ECT. i have had 2 sessions thursday and friday. this week i start mon/wed/fri schedule.. the first treatment i woke up ok i dont usually have a problem with anesthesia. the second one i woke up crying feeling worse than ever. i had also urinated on my self. is that normal? when i said to the nurse what had happened she really didnt say anything. is this something i can expect a lot? i am going to bring a change of clothes with me from now on but i really wish someone had warned me about this. luckily the clothes i was wearing you couldnt really tell. this weekend i feel just awful, can it make you worse before you get better? i know i need to give this a chance because i will not survive if things go on the way they have been, i cant live that way.

Demons2011 responded:
I have thought about getting ECT, but have delayed for about a year now. I have heard a lot of positives and some like your expeirence. I have also heard it takes time to get results you're seeking. So far, best guess - stay with it.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hello. Ect can take several sessions to work so sticking with it a bit makes sense. ECT is a seizure so urinating during it may happen though is fairly rare in my experience. Perhaps they need deeper anesthesia. Make sure to tell the anesthesiologist perhaps.

wovenway replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
thanks for the response, i am going today and i will tell the anesthesiologist. the nurse or aid whatever she is is very nice but she really didnt say anything. not even im sorry that happens some times. i wont give up on it over that i cant, i know my life depends on it.

cutie2shoes replied to wovenway's response:
So glad to see a discussion on this subject. ECT has been suggested to me but I keep rejecting it because it scares me. I'm so sorry the attendant, whatever her position, was unresponsive to you. That just shouldn't have happened. I'd sure like to know I'd have a comforting presence nearby.

jaws86 replied to cutie2shoes's response:
I'v had 2 rounds of 4 ECT impulses before and the only side effect was short-term memory difficulties for a couple of weeks. They put you asleep during the procedure you feel nothing.

An_249452 responded:
I have had more ECT's than I can count. I always came out a bit confused, but it helped the depression for a few months. I have atypical depression. Tried most all meds, then resorted to ect's. Now on Nardil, remeron and Xanax. No ect's for several years. Never had any problems with feeling bad or urinating. Talk to your MD, he should be able to give you more info.

wovenway replied to cutie2shoes's response:
actually in her defense she is usually very comforting and does take good care of me even when i wake up crabby. i think it may have been a matter of she is the "go to" person in that center and everyone wants her attention including the drs.

mondo25 replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
Hi names amondo. Not sure whats wrong with me. I not happy at all i know that but was wondering what is it if can go to sleep for eight hours and then wake up but then couple hours later i want to just sleep again. I can go lay down or go curl up on couch and fall asleep and sleep again for like another eight hours in the same day. All i seem to want to do lately , just curl up in a blanket any where and fall asleep and not wake up. I sleep for 3 hours to 8 to 16hrs in a day . Could be cause im working over nights? Even on my days off ive gone to sleep at like 9pm but sleep clear till 5pm next day .

beautifulbuffalo responded:
I have had around 50 Ect treatments. They all worked great for me. I was able to get back on medcinine and it worked for me this time. I always woke up confused for a few hours. They say you should have a minimum of 12 sessions for the ECT to work. It is worth it. Good Luck
BB

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.