Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

teetee503 posted:
Good morning! I'm new here. I've had depression for years although I'm honestly not sure what kind? I guess I'm here trying to figure it out? I am currently taking an antidepressant and an ADD med. Been on them about a year. The antidepressant is just not working for me anymore. I know my doctor gets tired of dealing with me. I'm always sick and at her office as I have some physical illness as well. We've tried a couple of different antidepressants over the last couple of years. Seems like they help at first, or maybe it's just that I feel optimistic when starting a new one? But, just doesn't seem to last. Of course, like most women, I do not want to gain any more weight! I have tried working out every day, not working out at all and everything in between. Doesn't seem to affect it at all really. And I don't lose weight . I have had some pretty devastating events in my life in the last year or so and I know that contributes to the sadness and lack of motivation. I think I would enjoy talk therapy? Have no clue where to even start with that? And I don't feel like I have time to go. I'm just wondering what works for other people? Maybe I can get some ideas of what to try next? Sorry if I've rambled. Just giving a little background info. Ha ha. Hope you all have a great day!!

jblue123 responded:
Hey newbie, glad you reached out. I'm inconsistant on this board, but I think that I need to become a little more frequent right now. Got some issues going on myself...

I had a lot of success with a talk therpists a few years ago, really helped me to put things into perspective and I learned some coping skills. My employment status has changed in the last year and paying for her services are why I can't continue right now, so I'm hoping the community support will help me get through this rough patch. I would suggest asking a friend or trusted co-worker if they know of a good person for you to talk to. Everyone goes through times where they need someone, so if they don't know personally they may have a family member who had a successful experience and can give you a good name. When you meet with the person for the first time, this first session is as much about them as it is about you. Make sure you feel comfortable and relaxed (sometimes this may not happen until the 2nd or 3rd appointment though). So allow yourself a chance to get to know them... I had more success with a female, which actually surprised me as I usually bond with men first.

Hang in there... I wonder if I need to be tested for ADD... I've been rambling also. ***Hugs***

teetee503 replied to jblue123's response:
Thank you very much for your reply to my post.. I agree with you that I could use some talk therapy. Like you, I'm really paranoid concerning confidentiality. My brother sees a therapist and I may speak with him to get info on how to get an appt with her? I really hope things improve for you. Sounds like you're going through a very stressful time. I try to tell myself all the time that I'm not alone and that everyone has issues and hard times. If that's so, I'm confused how anyone with issues like mine hold down a full time job for years at a time?! I can get in "work mode" for a while and do fine. Then, as usual, something happens. Either I get sick and am forced to miss work or just so depressed I just cannot do it. I have gone to work sick before and it's miserable as I'm sure you know. But, for some odd reason I seem to require an abnormal amount of rest. Which is not possible while working full time. Financially I could stand to go back to full time and soon! It's just confusing to me how there are people who never miss work. How? Should I just go? Sick or not? I work very closely with people and some of them are elderly and immune compromised. SO frustrating to me! Anyway, I recently found out that I have a brain tumor. It's a very small one and it is benign. It's called an Acoustic Neuroma or Vestibular Schwannoma. Nothing will have to be done unless my symptoms keep me from functioning normally or it grows to a certain size. I'll have MRI's once a year to check to see if it's changing in size or not. The symptoms of it are not serious right now. Other than constant ringing in my left ear. Along with hearing loss at certain frequencies. Headaches are a pretty regular occurrence as well. As is dizziness. That's the worst for me. OMG!! See! The ole' ADD has me rambling again!! Sorry. Hope things get better for you soon! Keep me posted? **Hugs**

jblue123 replied to teetee503's response:
Oh My... you do have a lot going on also. If I can stay distracted and know that people depend on me I can make it. Here lately I can sit in front of the TV for hours, and honestly I could not tell you what I've watched. I have to be really schedule minded or I lose focus.

Hang in there also and keep us posted. You have friends here... and its a safe place.

I'm going to try writing my feelings down and see if this helps me... maybe at least I can string some rational thoughts together.

trees8 replied to jblue123's response:
I am also a newbie as well just signed up today and just getting to know people

teetee503 replied to trees8's response:
Welcome! I've only been here a couple days & I can tell I'm going to feel a lot better by having the support this group is providing

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.