Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

OCD and Depression
An_249537 posted:
Hi all,

I experienced severe symptoms of OCD for two years, which included compusilve thoughts, the need to order past events, a compulsive staring/blinking ritual, and occasional terrifyingly disturbing thoughts about hurting family members. Strangely enough, succeeding in a "thought" was like a high; I felt better in this cocoon and prided myself when I could do it right. A few months ago I started having compulsive thoughts towards past events, berating myself for a few past mistakes, and the thoughts diminished and were replaced with depression. My mind was basically like a blank slate except for the fact that I truly hated myself and would not forgive myself for anything bad. So, I was wondering if there's a corellation between OCD and depression, because it seems like the odd way to get rid of my OCD was to become depressed and preoccupied with my mistakes.

Thanks

jim531 responded:
Hi. I've gone through the same thing in the past. The correlation is that OCD is an anxiety disorder and most of the time anxiety and depression go together. When my depression is bad I have a lot of guilt feelings about the past and have low self esteem. The key is raising your serotonin levels through medication or exercise or a combination of both. I'm a runner and for years the aerobic exercise was enough to keep my anxiety and depression under control. Now that I'm older, the exercise alone doesn't do it so I've needed to add an anti depressant which works both on anxiety and depression. I would talk to your doctor about various options. Good luck.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.