Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Hi I'm new
Hardison posted:
I don't really know how this works. I'll tell you a little about myself.. I've been depressed for about 8 years on and off. I've also been on and off SSRI's. I'm back on cipralex right now. I'm addicted to shows and facebook games. It doesn't even make me feel better, just useless.. I have my thesis to research and write and I can't sit down and do it. I'm exhausted all the time, but I can't fall asleep at night. I've tried meditation, melatonin, even shows. I end up falling asleep really late and waking up really late, and the whole day is gone. I know the addictions aren't helping yet I can't stop. I don't have money for therapy right now. I just don't know what to do..

thistledown1973 responded:
I believe you are right about the addiction; I do not know if you are male or female but research has shown that for many males video games/television shows release opioid-like substances in the brain, causeing a release of endorphins much like when one eats a pleasant food, exercises, or has sex. To a much lesser extent it can affect women, and for some women it can have the same effect. (see the book "Boys Adrift").

Not everyone reacts to it, and depending on the individual's endophin pathways and sensitity to opiates it can be no effect to full-blown addiction. Unfortuantely because you are depressed, the games are helping you stave off the depression, not turn it around. It also convinces your body it has rested when it hasn't and the "blue-light" of video screens has been shown to keep people from being able to sleep.

Are there any 12-step programs in the area? believe it or not an addiction is an addiction, and even if others might not take it seriously, EVERY addiction deserves serious attention. Check the phone book/internet for groups in your area, and see if you can get a sponsor who can be there to get you out of the house and get you moving in the outdoors away from screens. They have groups for drugs, alcohol, overeating, why not gaming?

Good luck and best wishes.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.