Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Trapped
James10 posted:
I was wondering if anyone could give me advise on how to seek help with my depression.
I have been like this for a couple of years now, its quite severe. Its complected as i am a teenager, a while ago i went to my doctors this involved my parents finding out. Me being depressed was very distressing for both of them and they didn't deal with it well. It also had a big effect on me, it got a lot worse. I was sent to a counseling session with a service that dealt with teenagers, this did not help at all, i don't think the woman i saw was a psychiatrist, I talked about things i have been through and kept asking for what i should do but she didn't know, we only had three sessions, this is all the service provided. They didn't help, I thought that my parents weren't very supporting. The one thing that did help a bit was that i got a girlfriend.
Its affecting my life a lot, i have exams that i'm struggling to prepare for, i have lots of physical symptoms, and feel like i'm emotionally overloaded.
How could i seek help ? my friends can't help me, i don't want to go back to my doctor, i don't know what to do.

awd314 responded:
Finding the right help is challenging, at any age. You need to find a psychiatrist in your area that can help you. This means checking out several, not just going to the first one you find. Web sites such as healthgrades.com or vitals.com are a place to begin your search for a competent psychiatrist.

If you haven't done so already, get educated on your disease and the treatments. WedMD is a start. If you like to read, you should have a look at "The Noonday Demon" by Andrew Solomon. Very well written and researched (by an author, not an MD) and the most comprehensive book on the subject I've ever come across. Published in 2001, there is likely a copy in your public library.

Exercise. Often the last thing you feel like doing when you are depressed, it also one of the best things you can do.

Keep your parents in the loop. They love you unconditionally and will do their best to help you find the treatment you need. It might also be worth checking in with your school counselor, not for treatment, but they may know of support resources in your area. Same advise if you go to church; speak to your pastor/priest/etc. They are often familiar with support resources in your area.

Taking steps like these can help with the trapped feeling your dealing with. Also remember that you will get better, a fact that can be impossible to accept when you are struggling. Also remember that you are not alone. Depression is extremely common and the advent of online discussion boards makes it easy to connect with others.

James10 replied to awd314's response:
Thanks for your help awd314

kaykillen responded:
yeah correct. make yourself busy and discover something you may find fun to do

itmatsb responded:
Yes, counseling may be helpful, but I would think that with severe depression, medication is the most helpful. It's like someone with diabetes willing themselves to have the blood sugar when medication is needed. Your system is chemically off and needs an anti-depressant. None of your friends need to know about it.

I was seriously depressed from the time that I was a teenager. I managed to get an advanced college degree, a great professional job, lived in an exciting city that I loved, had many great friends, could date anyone I wanted to, had plenty of money, and by this time, I was so severely depressed that I was bargaining with myself daily not to commit suicide. There was nothing wrong with my self-confidence at all. Therapy did absolutely nothing for me. I was chemically depressed. First sunlight in the form of lights early in the day, then later anti-depressants took away the depression completely. I was very happy and productive without any effort, as everything had been such an effort in the past. I hope that you won't continue to suffer the way I did. Keep me posted about how your next doctor appointment goes. Ask for the medication. I wish you the best.

James10 replied to itmatsb's response:
Ok thanks guys, i will try and make another doctors appointment.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

I m so horrible about my life right now
Actually I m manager of the bar, and everybody think I m a nice bartender, but I don`t feel happy to talk to people anymore, I feel I ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.