Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

I'd rather be dead then deal with this stress
beautifulbuffalo posted:
Stress is killing me. Guilt is killing me.

I have to babysit for my grandson because my daughter is in the middle of a divorce and had to go back to work. I work Tuesday-Saturday. I have Sunday and Monday. I feel guilty if I leave my daughter at home and go do something. But my something could be going to get a bowl of soup just to get out of the house because I go crazy. I understand she is going through a hard time with this divorce.

This Sunday I am going out with my mother who is 74 and not in good health and I don't get to spend enough time with her and feel guilty that I'm going because my husband will be home and we don't get to spend time together anymore now that my daughter is living with us.

TO much guilt and stress and it's killing me.
BB

beautifulbuffalo replied to chez1's response:
I hear what your saying, but I have a problem saying no to people and I'm stressed out the whole time and then I get really depressed. I haven't even told my daughter that I'm going to spend the day with my mother tomorrow. I'm afraid. Why am I afraid. I'm 49 and she is 27. When am I going to have a life of my own. When I'm dead that's when.
BB

thistledown1973 responded:
Your daughter is full-grown adult and needs to find a way to take care of HER son. Sure, she is going through a tough time right now and you can be compassionate and sympathetic, but NOT to the detriment of your own health. Your mother took care of you until you were a grown woman with your own child, then you were responsible for your family. It is now your daughter's turn.

My husband and I moved 6000 miles from home to establish a new life with jobs (he was unemployed). We have no faimly network here; we had to work opposite shifts and trust relative strangers to watch our toddler and newborn (a licensed home daycare) and we managed without "grandmas and grandpas" or "aunts and uncles". Your daughter is responsible for your grandson's care. You can offer to watch him once in a while but you need to care for your well-being.

Your husband should understand the bond you have with your mother and let you visit with her, but truly I have only seen my mother TWICE in TEN YEARS (she can't travel much and the cost of flying our whole family is too steep). We talk and we understand that the love we share bridges any distance and makes those time we DO see each other that much more meaningful. Maybe you can schedule time with your husband and mother so that they don't overlap?

My grandsons have only seen their (paternal) grandmother ONCE in TEN YEARS. She spent SEVEN YEARS taking care of her mother rather than leave her bedside because "She might die any minute". Seven years she could have flown to see her grandsons, seven years of time watching them go from baby/toddler to young boy and young man.

Finally, why are you feeling guilty? You are imposing expectations on yourself that are unreasonable, and no one but you knows just how much you are carrying. It's like a thousand people each asking you to carry a rock. to each person, the request to carry a rock seems insignificant, unless you tell them you are already carrying 500 rocks. Let each of them know that you are being pulled in too many direcetions and ASK them to respect your health and help you figure out an equitable way to handle the load.

itmatsb responded:
Read your postings. You are not spending much time with your mother who is in poor health and could be gone any day and you are not honoring your marriage by spending much time with your husband. Do you realize what you are saying? That you are letting your daughter who is a full adult cause you stress and guilt. She will give you grief the first time that you don't continue to be her slave. And she will continue to give you grief for a while, because you have trained her to be her slave. But she will get over it. Honor your mother and your husband by giving them some of your time. And most importantly, start honoring yourself by saying no and having a life of your own. It's up to you. Get counseling if you need it. But find a decent counselor who is interested in you having a life. This talk about death shows the stress of your daughter's demands are not worth it. Right??? You can do it.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Group for Families and friends of people with depression
Since most of the family support sites are 404, I set one up for friends, family and spouses of people with depression. Actually, everyone ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.