Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Severe Depression, But No Insurance
An_249914 posted:
I have severe depression and I've had it for quite a few years. It's getting to the point where I just don't know what to do with myself anymore. I no longer have health insurance, because I can't afford it and state insurance won't answer me, so I have no way to talk to my doctor. I used to do things all the time: music, painting, drawing, making jewelry...but now all I can stand to do is sleep, or sit at home alone. I've been going to the gym as part of a New Years resolution to be able to look at myself in the mirror without making my depression worse. At least once a day I think about stepping into the bath tub with a hair dryer, or how easy my life would be if I just didn't have to live it anymore. I live with my boyfriend, who's very loving, and supportive. He does everything for me and I can't stand it when he's home. I just feel like being alone all the time. I can't stand how we just sit indoors all the time. I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like running away from my life, but what then? I'm somewhere else, just as unhappy.

Artchyck responded:
I find myself in a similar situation as you. looking back, I can remember depression as a kid, though I really didn't understand what it was, and even through my teens and 20's, but I didn't reach out for medication until after my last baby, where I really went down a dark place with postpartum. My children are now grown, my youngest is 14, and the last few years I have been finding it harder and harder to hold on. I was a stay at home mom until recently, and this year I have instances where I have to leave work because I am so overcome with the feeling of despair and worthlessness, I need to leave. I can't stop the crying, and I am not usually an over emotional person. My husband is very supportive, like your boyfriend, but it doesnt help. He just doesnt get it. I mean, who would choose to feel this way? I love painting, working with clay, building mixed media pieces, but I have found it impossible to do any art lately, which causes more depression. I take cymbalta, have no insurance, so I know how expensive it can be. I will say, anti depressant meds probably saved me. Maybe a dr visit will help you? I dont know what state you are in, but in Wa state, u can get some help with this.

wannatalk65 responded:
behavioral centers will set you up with help, check out your local area. I am currently going to one and they have been helping me quite a bit. They are free of charge

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.