Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Getting worse.
DeMartha posted:
I just found this site and this is my first post. I am getting worse by the day it seems. Lost my husband 3 years ago after a horrible and very rare cancer which caused quadraplegia and every other problem you can imagine, and I cared for him at home. Then I developed some health issues and spent about a year sitting in a damn chair. I am far from "cured" but better, and find that most days I can't get out of the chair again even though I am physically able. I know I have not dealt with my grief and sadness but I also know that's here to stay. Not being able to force myself to get out of my chair and do the things I need to do is depressing me even more! It's a vicious circle that I just can't break right now. I can function when I have my grandchildren and love them immensely and love having them but it completely exhausts me and as soon as they leave, I'm back in the chair. When I am alone, I just can't do anything! Has anyone been like this and what did you do to "help" yourself get through and past this crippling lack of function? Thank you.

itmatsb responded:
I sounds like you are severely depressed. Don't be down on ourself about it. It means there is a chemical imbalance in your system which can be helped by medication. See your doctor as soon as possible and ask for help. Grief of course is there. But 3 years later to still be sitting in your chair is a sign that it has gone beyond just grief. Depression can physically sap every bit of energy and motivation that you have. Please get the help that you need. Wish you the best.

Ajaradom responded:
Dear DeMartha,

What a wonderful thing you did for your husband --- to care for him, love him, to be able to be with him when he left this earth Truly, you kept your wedding vows!

Now, my dear, it is time for you to take care of yourself --- to love yourself --- you deserve the best

I just found your post today (Feb. 26th) -- you posted a week ago. Have you seen a psychiatrist?

Let me know how you're doing --- stay strong

Peace my friend,

Lori

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

more to bipolar treatments
I'm bipolar and just went through what I could find in WebMD for this. I noticed a piece is missing. In addition to medication and ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.