Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Why am I being refused help?
An_250572 posted:
I've been diagnosed with depression and I have been seeing a therapist. However, I feel as though my primary doctor refuses to take this seriously. I'm not necessarily looking for medication, but I've been doing the same treatment for a while now and feel no better than when I started. My therapist encourages me to express this to my doctor, but again she seems to roll over it when I'm talking to her. What can I do to get the point across? Should I just start over again with new doctors?

-Elisabeth

deasertrose responded:
An_250572
You need to go to a psychiatrist. They can tell you what is going on with you and provide you with medicine if needed. Best of luck to you.

itmatsb responded:
If you can't convince your doctor that you are truly depressed needing medical help, I would definitely find another doctor. Therapy is not likely to help you much when you are clinically depressed, so don't feel responsible for the therapy not helping you. And therapists are often skiddish about their patients getting medical treatment, because many times, the person feels so good that there are no more problems to discuss in therapy.

Ajaradom responded:
Elisabeth,

I believe you know the answer to your question If your doctor is not listening to you, don't you think you need to find a doctor who will listen? Have you seen a psychiatrist? Who diagnosed you with depression?

I encourage you to learn all you can about depression! It is a serious medical brain illness/disease --- there is no cure, there is only treatment.

Stay strong --- keep fighting for yourself to get the best medical help you need!

Peace my friend,

Lori

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi- look on this or another website for a depression checklist or rating scale. Fill it out and it will likely label you as mild, moderate or severely depressed. Print it out. Go to your doctor and politely say "i am really suffering. I have tried non-medication psychotherapy and am still suffering.. I did some homework and went through this check list. Hand it to the doctor. Tell her you would like to be on an antidepressant and ask if she could pick one she is comfortable with. Tell her you will do the same check list weekly and mail it to her so she can see your progress or not... tell her you have read up on many of the antidepressants and are comfortable with the risks... tell her you are motivated to change and really want help..."
If she says 'no' politely ask why. If it sounds bogus, ask to speak to her boss if she has one, the managing partner, or ask for a 2nd opinion perhaps... ask for a referral to a psychiatrist.... print out this post and show her
Get a letter from your therapist stating therapy has only been minimally effective an dthat the therapist also requests a med start and will help the doc monitor the symptoms too.
Please politely and respectfully advocate for treatment for yourself or at least a straightforward reason why she will not treat... It is possible the doc does not believe your diagnosis or more likely is not trained well or comfortable treating depression

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.