Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Severe Depression?
Paige0012 posted:
Ive been feeling really blue lately and cant seem to pull it out so I went to see a therapist who referred me to the Dr who told me today I have severe depression. Im not quite sure what that means. I havent told my husband, Iam afraid he wont understand. I havent told anyone. My family thinks Im at work when I go to therapy. I go to work, smile and act happy when I really want to crawl in bed and not get up. I feel more like a failure now that Im not not just depressed but severly depressed.

An_250589 responded:
Three days ago I just start 150mg Seroquel XR (antipsychiotic) http://www.drugs.com/mtm/seroquel-xr.html added to my Viibryd. http://www.drugs.com/viibryd.html My Psychiatrist just diagnosed me with Major Depressive Disorder as opposed to my General Practitioner treating me for Bi-polar Disorder for 5 plus years. I was numb, lethargic, with no pleasure or joy in my life. Basically a zombie. These last three days I've woken up with a feeling of purpose in life and an excitement to start the day & accomplish tasks. I've triedWellbutrin, Zoloft, Lithium, Neurotin, and Abilify. NONE have made a dent but this drug is life changing. I hope other's are helped, too.

Ajaradom responded:
Dear Paige,

You are not a failure! There are so many stigmas about mental illness, and it makes it difficult to talk with family and friends. I encourage you to learn as much as you can about our disease. I've recently found a web site that helps dealing with stigmas of mental illness --- it's called BringChange2Mind --- I hope you will visit the site and I hope it helps you!

I have clinical (severe) depression --- have had it most of my adult life.

I don't have answers for you, but I'd like to ask you some questions to help you --- asking them helps me too

Is your Dr a psychiatrist? Is there a support group in the area where you live? Are you going to be placed on medication?

When you feel comfortable and when you feel more informed about your depression ---- sit down with your husband, take his hand in yours, look into his eyes and tell him you need his help, love, support and understanding --- you have a disease/illness called clinical depression --- teach him about your illness that cannot be cured but can be treated --- if he loves you he will try to understand and want to learn what he can do to help you --- when you are ready I encourage you to have the same conversation with your family

Paige, I know it's hard, so very hard to cope with depression! You are on the right path --- you are seeking help to get better! Stay strong girlfriend

Let me know how you are doing

Peace my friend,

Lori

bridie55511 replied to Ajaradom's response:
yes, Paige...stay strong. How can you call yourself a failure if you are doing everything youve done? YAY -- you've seen a therapist, YAY -- you're making it to work, YAY -- you realize that your family may be uncomfortable.

Lori is SO right. There are many stigmas...fortunately they're beginning to soften; and there is hope.

There will be a time when you feel better, right now, continue to nurture yourself and your family by telling them you have been diagnosed -- best comparison is that some people are diagnosed with things like heart disease yours is depression (no need to use severe unless you feel like it).

Depression is an illness, not a weakness or failure.

Sending a hug your way.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

need some help here
Does anyone knows anything about "chronic cortisol efficiency" , one of my cousin has it. I would like to know more about this. Feel ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.