Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Hopeless
wyzeguy73 posted:
I don't understand. I've been successful my whole life. MVP of my high school basketball team, 8 years in the Marine Corps, 4 years as a Cav Scout in the National Guard. For some reason every accomplishment is shadowed with doubt. A voice in the back of my head that discounts everything. I've been tested up and down, my doctors have all complimented my test results. Obviously It's my brain. What can I do?

momrudolph responded:
Hopeless,
Maybe there is someone you are trying to prove yourself worthy of, and no matter what you do, it's not enough,
I think finding someone to talk with as an outlet for your feelings would be good, and also just because that voice discounts everything, doesn't make it so. Sometimes those voices lie. Sometimes they are echoes from things heard or not even heard, but presumed as reality.
I say tell that voice to simmer down, cause this is your head it's trying to invade, and you run the show....

Ajaradom responded:
Hi Wyzeguy,

First off --- congrats on all your awesome accomplishments! Thanks, also, for your military service for our great country!

Does your doubt include other behaviors or symptoms? What do you mean when you say you've been tested up and down? Have you seen a psychiatrist? Not trying to bombard you with questions ---- just trying to get better idea of what you are experiencing and to help answer your question "What can I do?"

I thinks it's great that you're here, on this site asking for help. I have clinical depression --- coping with it most of my adult life --- it first started in junior year of undergrad studies.

I'm no expert, but I'm want to help. It may be a good idea to see a psychiatrist if you haven't done so already. Also, try not to isolate yourself --- get with friends who are a good influence --- who are positive. Get outside in the sunshine

I look forward to hearing from you and following your progress.

Shalom my friend,

Lori

blueboxt40 responded:
All my best, wyzeguy73.

I went through a period much like this with a background like you and found out that I was suffering from burnout. I had to back down on what I was doing and regroup on the important things.

I applaud your courage in reaching out for assistance.

An_250683 responded:
Hello Wiseguy !

I just wanted to compliment you on your grammer and sentence structure ! I suggest that your concerns are all in your head. Semper Fi Fellow Marine

walks responded:
hi i was checking my e -mail and your commment caught my
eye,
1st) i think your going through a process of Self-discovery and it's quite normal.I spent 30 years in the fire service,and came to relaize that that no matter how onTop of my game,if i stayed in that mindset of looking for constant approval,and trying to out do my last feat i was doomed for disappointment.It was a rat race to stay on top.Injuries and health issues take their toll,trust me on that.We all get old like it or not. Don't sell your self short thats the voice we all hear ,strart off by replacing it by a new voice that you a worthy,you do give your best..you do value YOURSELF... I hop ethis helps a little..

cer327 responded:
I don't know how old you are? Probably late 30's or early 40's. You have succeeded in the past & will succeed again. You are no longer in your previous work enviornment where you accomplished so much. You are dealing with depression, sometimes called adjustment disorder. Get counseling, temporary Rx therapy; if needed. But foremost, spiritual nourishment by going to a good church. Get into a men's group @ church. There are many men experiencing what you are going through;especially in this economy. Time to reinvent yourself, transfer your skills into another field. Suggestion: law enforcement or work in a private security firm or something altogether different. Brainstorm with other men.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Dont Like What I Have Become
Don't like what I have become......again...every few years I go down this hole and am scared to death More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.