Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Anti-Depressives & weight gain
An_248189 posted:
I'm on Paxil, which is considered the worst anti-depressive in terms of having weight gain as a side effect. Are there any SSRIs or SNRIs that are considered especially good for not having this side effect of weight gain?

Thanks.

Ajaradom responded:
Hi An,

Wellbutrin is not an SSRI, but it is used to treat depression. It tends to suppress appetitie. I used it years ago, and it was effective --- I had to stop using it because I was unable to increase the dosage because of side effects I could not tolerate.

Talk w/ your psychiatrist. Our brain chemistries are as varied as our brains --- Wellbutrin may work for you!

Lori

Arlington replied to Ajaradom's response:
Unfortunately, Wellbutrin is not an option for me. And the accounts I've read as to which SSRI, if any, has the least weight gain are contradictory. They only agree on the fact that Paxil has the most weight gain.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
Hi, all SSRI and SNRI can cause weight... Paxil likely worst but all do... Wellbutrin XL has no weight gain but you say you can;t use it. Newer drug called viibryd has data showing low sex side effects and low weight gain- may be a good choice. Unfortunately there are few if any antideps without weight side effects. We sometimes use chromium picolinate or metformin to counter the weight gain side effects. Xenical or alli too

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 24 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.