Skip to content


Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

In need of advice, don't read if you are depressed (trigger?)
displaced83 posted:
The boyfriend of a very good friend of mine recently committed suicide. From what I know, it was completely out of the blue (no one knew he was depressed). My friend is having a lot of trouble dealing with everything. She is a little over 5 months pregnant with his child, and it is all she can do to get up in the morning. I know she needs some kind of counseling, and she plans on getting it. But is there anything I can do besides be supportive? I don't know what to say or do to let her know she should keep going and not give up! I guess I'm afraid she will commit suicide too? Any suggestions or thoughts?
pressurecooker13 responded:
Bless her. And bless you for being there for her. What she is going through is tragic. If she is talking about taking her life, seek professional help immediately. If she's overwhelmed by the grief but not expressing suicidal thoughts, I think the best thing you can do for her is to continue to encourage her. Let her know that her baby needs her. She has a real and present purpose. Keep in close contact - check in with her everyday or a couple of times a day. Tell her she's done well when she gets up and does something. Don't push her, though. I think the best thing you can do is be there. Hold her. Let her know she matters to you.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.