Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Will I Have To Take SSRI my for rest of my life?
Anon_26275 posted:
I know that most of the issue is my OCD trying to create more
anxiety for something. My psychiatrist prescribed me prozac for my intrusive thoughts as well as my compulsion acts (which are not the "if I don't do something something bad will happen". Its more of the "I have to do this or else I will obsess on it by thinking of it or my body feels as if something is wrong". So I was prescribed that,but a part of me feels so scared for my life,no exaggeration. I have read about people that start taking meds and have to depend on them for the rest of their life to stay normal and if they miss a couple days in a row bad things can happen. Now, I know some of you, my fellow sufferers,are saying to yourself "whats the issue,if you have a possible treatment to your problem, who cares if you have to take for life?" Its not that simple for me, I don't want to be considered as "psycho" for life, I know that we are normal just like others but let's be real, when society doesn't understand something, we label it as "crazy" or "special". I just am so worried that I will have to forever take this pill once I start it. One other worry is that I will take the pill and my whole demeanor and personality will alter. I had a friend who was normal and then around 18,19 he was diagnosed with schizophrenia and every since then his medication has made his mood and personality so different. He was an outgoing funny guy,now he is extremely reserved and he says hr thinks it is his meds. I guess my questions to you are 1)Do I have to take SSRI forever once I start taking this pill? 2)Will the SSRI change my personality and 3) How long have you been taking SSRI and how has it improved your OCD symptoms (specifcally intrusive thoughts and compulsions if you suffer from this)

jim531 responded:
Its hard to say if you will need it the rest of your life. The medication works on your serotonin level and the best natural ways to keep your serotonin levels high are getting a lot of sunlight and aerobic exercise. Being an outdoor runner controlled my mild depression and anxiety for most of my life without needing meds. I didn't need an SSRI until 7 years ago when I had a traumatic experience that kicked it into a higher gear. It hasn't changed my personality and it helps a great deal. Its not addictive so you can come off of it later. If you don't exercise I highly recommend 4 or 5 days of aerobic exercise lasting at least 45 minutes.

FLH2010 responded:
You likely already know OCD is an anxiety disorder...the SSRI will help change the chemistry to alleviate the symptoms. The jury is out and you can read many opinions and some absolutes about mental disorders but I believe it boils down to chemistry in the brain. If your brain doesnt make the right chemistry then problems occur. Enviroment CAN cause the disorder to be more more or less severe. I suggest you go to a qualified psychologist and take some cognitive behavior therapy...it has helped me some but still when I get under too many stressors I have problems. As far as taking the meds for life...who cares...for a person that needs them its like a vitamin. As far as what other people think WHO CARES!!! Take care and try to relax and you WILL learn to deal with it more effectively in time. Its still a good life.

ReuvenF responded:
You most likely WILL need it, for the rest of your life.
To me, it's part of my story: I take my meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, depression, fibromyalgia,...
It's just another drug on the list.
Will it change your personality? Maybe, Maybe not.
Have you thought about the possibility that it WILL change your personality, and that you will like yourself BETTER with the change?
Drugs/meds whatever we do in our lives "changes us."
I, personally, don't believe ANYTHING can change me into something that's not already part of my personality.
I've been taking SSRI's for over 18 years, and I've changed meds 3-4 times, and my total "commitment to myself" is to see my Psychiatrist every 6-8-10 weeks.
If we're talking, and there's something we don't like,
we change the meds.
Two words of caution:
It could take some time to find the right med/dosage/minimal side-effects, etc. AND
It almost ALWAYS involves an initial adjustment period, with high-levels of side-effects (nausea, changes in digestion,...)
My advice:
Give YOURSELF a chance!
Hope theis helps.
Good luck!

Joaeph replied to ReuvenF's response:
I have been taking meds to treat my Bipolar disorder for 25 years. I take 3 meds 3x/ day. I have tried stopping and/or reduing the amounts of each of the drugs over the years. If I do within a few days my moods have dramatic shifts. I am not a very nice person then. So yes I will be on these forever unless I try electro shock therapy for 3X/week for 3 weeks. I know some who have been able to stop or reduce the meds and some who were not helped. In sum our brains are all wried differently and no one can say for sure what drugs or therapy will work and for how long they will work.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 35 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.