Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Brother is dying
beautifulbuffalo posted:
I haven't seen my brother in 5 years and we only live 1 1/2 hours apart. We had a falling out to the point I had to get protection from him. He didn't even want me to know he was sick but my mother told me. I feel sorry for him but my feelings towards him haven't changed. I'm torn on a lot of issues and it depresses me. My whole family is disfunctional. By the way he has Lou Gerigs Disease. Given 1or less years to live. I'm lost I don't know what to do. I don't want to see him so I guess I'll wait till his funeral.
BB

raerob responded:
BeautifulBuffalo....I have only been on this site for a short time. Your post caught my eye. I want to tell you, I am sorry for your heartache and pain and other emotions that you are going through.

I am from a very large family, there were 10 kids plus Mom & Dad. Last year my Dad died, we knew he was dying but it was all still so horrible. 3 months later I recieved an early morning call that one of my 6 sisters died suddenly.
I know my dysfunctional family is upside down now...big time.

I hear some say, I don't want this one or that one at my funeral....everyone is so angry and either can't let go of the past, they can't move forward in there lives because they are so weighed down by the dysfunction and some just can't forgive.

You do not have to do anything or say anything. I was told by someone, that I could just write a letter. Express my feelings ect. then there is no confrontation, no arguments and you got to say how you felt.
I feel for you.....knowing my family and a lot of the unhappiness.....most of the time I dred answering the phone. I let my situation get to me again and I am right back where I was 6 months ago.
So much heartache and stress all the time, it's so heavy.

I don't know your situation w/your brother. Wish there was an easy answer. It's on your mind though and it's good to talk about it. I hope that you find a solution for you which will cause you to have a little peace.

Some things happened to me, it took years to tell or talk to certain ones. I was always afraid in my mind that if I said something the outcome would not be good.....NOT TRUE.

I wish you the best. I probably did not make since LOL I just wanted to let you know I care. I hope you can heal. No "Stinking Thinking"........."Just Do IT".......................Ya see I stinking think all the time and way too much and I then as always, I become my own worst enemy.

~HUGS~
Robin

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.