Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Recovering addict/depression
hthacker73 posted:
I just found this site and realized that I have depression.Never went to see anyone for it but I know something is wrong Im 39 years old and a recovering addict clean for 6 months now went to rehab came back home and everything was suppossed to be all better but it wasnt.I went from spending all our money on drugs to always being in a bad mood looking for reasons to fight with my wife, nothing she does is good enough,Im not physically abusive but mentally I am tearing her and the kids apart.She has tried to get me to conciling but I have never gone always putting it off.Finally she told me that I had to move out she was tired of being unhappy and sad all the time.She also said that she didnt want to give up everything we have worked for,and that she was going to get conciling she called and set up an appointment today,she also said that she wanted us to go to marrige conciling,which I am more than willing to do but after reading this site I think I need to go and see someone about depression.I love my family more than anything but if I cant get this under control I think I will lose it all and I dont think I can deal with that.Please fell free to comment on things that could help me or my family that I may have missed

hthacker73 responded:
A little back story me and my wife have been together going on 10 years married 8 she was married to a addict that would beat her and was abusive to the kids (4) she put up with it for about 10 years before she finally left him then we met about a year after that. I have been a drug addict for pretty much my whole life and she never knew when we first got together but she found out MANY times since then she has threatend leaving and the last time was the final straw so to speak. So i went to rehab fo 30 days and got clean. I feel great about that btw but when I came home I thought things would just be wonderful but they werent.It has been a struggle for the last 6months and I wasnt sure why because Im clean now I thought that was our only problem.But now I see that the depression was there all along it just wasnt as big a factor as the drug abuse.I saw concilors while in rehab and felt really good getting things off my chest but they only concentrated on the drugs so now hopefully I can get this deppresion under control before I lose EVERYTHING.I want my wife and kids to be happy and I really want them to be happy with me as a family.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Group for Families and friends of people with depression
Since most of the family support sites are 404, I set one up for friends, family and spouses of people with depression. Actually, everyone ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.