Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

An_251484 posted:
[TRIGGER] Hi i am new to this so bear with me. I am finding it really hard at the moment to keep positive about my spouses depression. He is back on medication for his anxiety and that is good that he is open to help but i am struggling this time with the destructive behaviours he exhibits when depression has its grip on him. It is mainly his drinking every night this week. I watched him drink a bottle of wine today then get up for some beer and i thought and said to him why do this? He knows he is'nt supposed to drink as its the first thing our doctor asks him when he attends his surgery and yet he does it in binges when he is struggling. I can't deal with his snideness and irritablility this time and am wondering why. I am usually able for the relapses into depression so why not this time. He feels he has no problem with a few beers every night this week and i am the only one with a problem. He has been physically abusive once before over my wanting him to stop drinking though this was years ago and we dealt with that. I am so alone in my home tonight and don't want to be in the same room as him. What do i do to keep myself going this time?

An_250827 responded:
I know its easy to say but try speaking to your doctor.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.