Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

New to the Group
An_251513 posted:
I'm 26 years old and never thought depression would be something I'd struggle with. For the most part growing up was good and filled with all the things a child would need to have a well nurtured environment. At the age of 9 I began to learn that life doesn't last and all the things you've had can be gone instantly. My father had open heart surgery, when I was 9. For me I would say this started a down hill spiral. I learned after my father made it out of surgery that he died on the operating table but was revived by shocking his heart. From there on my life would endure many more traumatic events. Two years ago I began self injuring myself. Not to the point of wanting to die but to just hurt myself. I wanted to feel something other than numbness and periodic anger. After this fact was realized by others in my family I've been watched closely and haven't self injured since. I still struggle with the idea of wanting to harm myself because I feel it is the only way for me to punish myself for being me. I just want a life without pain, sadness and defeat. I'm hoping this group will be a positive factor in my life.

An_251517 responded:
I'm sorry you feel this way - does it help you when you can connect with others who feel the same way TreatmentDiaries.com is great place to privately share with those going through something similar. I know there are many who have been down a similar path with depression and self harm - you should check it out.

LindyB18 replied to An_251517's response:
thank you. I will check out the site.

CORYSGIRL30 responded:
I'm new to this group as well...I am here seeking support to help with my daughter, 16, who has depression. She is also battling self-harm. I am starting to understand *why and how it makes her feel. Like her self-harm is a temporary relief from the mental anguish she is dealing with.

You are doing very well by reaching out. Any form of communication about your feelings is a good thing. It's very brave of you, and a good choice! MoodPanda.com has an online diary & mood tracking feature...you can reach out to others or keep private.

If you have any in-person access to a counsellor, via a drop-in centre or or even a call-in phone line...it honestly is very helpful. Especially if you need someone to talk to asap that has the resources to a mobile crisis team. You should be able to find direct crisis phone #'s from your area's health or mental health department. And of course there is 911. If you ever feel suicidal...even just once...please call.

Julie

CORYSGIRL30 replied to CORYSGIRL30's response:
P.S. MoodPanda also has a mobile app...

rohvannyn replied to CORYSGIRL30's response:
Welcome! If it would be helpful to you, there is a really caring and supportive self-harm community here, too.

http://exchanges.webmd.com/self-harm-exchange

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.