Skip to content


Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
Depressed boyfriend
An_239572 posted:
In the last six months, I noticed my long-term boyfriend emotionally withdrawing. He hasn't been able to concentrate or make decisions, and he's been solely focused on the negative aspects of our relationship, of me, and of himself. He confessed to me that he now thinks he has no future and can't imagine ever getting married or having children. Part of this is the depression speaking and part of it is that he's taken over significant financial obligations from his parents, which I didn't know about until recently. We have more or less broken up, and I'm moving out of our apartment (towards a new and great job not too far away). I'm heartbroken, and I feel guilty about leaving someone I love who's sick. But his family's tragedies started long before I arrived, and I know I can't fix him or the situation especially as he continues to withdraw even more.

Intellectually I know it's best for me to steer clear of this situation. How do I make that leap emotionally?
Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
It looks like you have. If you have been supportive while together, offered encouragement and some mild pressure for him to get help, then it is unclear what you can do. Being a friend can be important with again some intermittent urging for him to get help

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
30 of 41 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.