Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Includes Expert Content
At the end of my rope
Ms1973vw posted:
I have been depressed for years. I have tried therapy 3 times and been on 4 different types of medication. I have tried exercise and yoga, self-medicated with alcohol, filled pages of countless journals, bought self-help books, prayed and sought out religious guidance. I have basically isolated myself to the point and extent that most of my friends have given up on me or are just frustrated to no end because they don't know what else to do for me. Every day, I feel I am just wasting time by staying busy until I die. I feel alone, unneeded, completely hopeless, backed into a corner and out of options. I don't know what else to try or where to go from here.

Thomas L Schwartz, MD responded:
I am sorry to hear of your depression and understand your pessimism. When I read you have been on 4 medicines i think "there are 20 left" to try. I wish we had a brain scanner and could pick the right med first... So, I suggest you to your doc and ask what chemical family each of your previous meds was in.. Insist on trying another med not in any of those families.. I suspect the 4 meds picked did not match your brain's chemistry needs so to speak

Ms1973vw replied to Thomas L Schwartz, MD's response:
I have been on Prozac, Pristiq, Citalopram, and Zoloft. My most recent therapist prescribed me Luvox but it was too expensive for me to afford and there was no cheaper generic equivalent. This has all left me EXTREMELY frustrated, and I have pretty much had it with the med route of addressing the situation. I have had such bad experiences with the ones I have been on, do not want to suffer the side effects, and feel that they aren't really a long term solution. If I stop taking the meds, the problems will still be there. And yes, I understand that even taking them short term can allow my brain to better "receive" the things I might get through therapy. In short, I'm against taking medication. There has to be another way.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Sexual Problems from Meds..What to do!Expert
Serotonin type antidepressants can cause 5-30% of the time- sexual problems such as no orgasm, impotence, no libido. Consider that ... More
Was this Helpful?
27 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.