Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Depressed daughter stops taking meds....
Allis07 posted:
I have a 20 year daughter that suffers from depression. She does really well when she is taking her meds but she will just stop taking them. We all then notice she is very distant, very irritable and snappy. She does not sleep. She becomes very secretive and confides in people that none of us know. She will lie right to our faces. Speaks of moving away to get away from her family. Which in fact her entire family is the only ones that are there all the time to help her and her daughter all the time. She does not have a lot of close friends. She has a 11 month old daughter with down syndrome. Which in itself is very stressful as the baby has had open heart surgery at 22 weeks but she needs to have a healthy Mom to help her. Both of them live with my husband and I and we continue to support her emotionally and financially. I have tried everything to make sure she takes her meds including setting an alarm on my cell to remind her every day. I have even counted her pills to know whether she is taking or not. She will lie and say she did when in fact she did not. Just do not know what to do or where to turn to get her the help she needs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.