Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Worried I'm getting worse
Smrfk posted:
I am 37 years old, and have had MDD my whole life. I have been taking meds for ten years (my parents wouldn't medicate me, and it took that long for me to get my own insurance), and gone through your typical stages of having Prozac not work anymore, upping the dosage, switching meds, etc. etc. I'm now on Lexapro, which I like mostly. I am also on Topamax, because my psychiatrist said he was worried about my weight and it can make you eat less, plus I told him I have anger issues and he seemed to think its mood stabilizing would help with that. I also have a script for Valium if I get too excited - I have major rage issues that I can't control sometimes. All this is known about me - but here's the thing. I never told my doctor - because I'm ashamed - but I have kleptomania. I steal things and don't even remember doing it. I also have had a few dissociative episodes when I get very stressed out - not feeling like my life is my own, that kind of thing. I have a history of self-medicating with drugs and heavy drinking, but the Topamax made alcohol taste bad for a while, so I quit drinking as much. Now it's worn off and I have been going off the wagon and doing impulsive things, especially sexually. I have never once thought of hurting myself, but I am concerned - does is sound like I might have more than just depression? I know I have a problem with abusing alcohol, but I am usually in control of it. Or should I try different meds again? Is uncontrollable rage a symptom of MDD or is that something else? Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
34 of 36 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.