Skip to content


Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

My Father has Severe Depression - Should I notify his Employer?
d_rek posted:
Title says it all.

He's recently slid into a severe depression - i wont go into the details yet but have a question regarding employer / employee rights.

He just started a new job 2 weeks ago. He has already called in several times and today my stepmom informed he was still in bed at 11:30am this morning, leading me to think he either called in again or possibly was fired. He wouldn't answer us when we asked him.

I'm wondering if it's within my rights to notify his current employer of his condition, or if i would be violating my fathers rights in any way. I'm concerned that if he stops working his depression will worsen and i'm quite sure he wouldn't tell his employer in his current state of mind.

We are trying to get him into treatment but as many know it is an uphill battle. We're hoping to get him in front of a therapist this week.

Any advice is much appreciated.

rohvannyn responded:
I know what kinds of things can and can't be disclosed TO a non patient but it isn't as clear what can and can't be disclosed FROM a non-patient to another non-patient. You could be jeapordizing his job if you let the employer know, but it sounds like his behavior is already doing that. Is there a way of contacting the supervisor and letting them know he is having health issues, in non specific terms, and feeling them out for their response? Much depends on how much they want him as an employee, and how irreplaceable his skills are.

Good luck, I hope he feels better soon.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.