Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Trying but not succeeding
mem2010 posted:
I have been depressed for a long time now. I don't think anyone actually sees it at all. I've been trying so hard to make things right in my life. I'm a single mom, working, and going to school. I'm not having much help from my family and I feel like they're only bringing me down. My parents are alcoholics and are absolutely horrible to each other half of the time. I cant stand being in this environment. I've had too many bad relationships with people, I feel like I am the one who ruins it. Half the time I just wanna give up and forget what I have and move on to something new and better. Its almost as if I'm over loading myself, I've never been a person to take on a lot of responsibility without quitting everything. Sometimes I think that what I'm doing is just stupid and that I should just give up now before I hurt myself more.
But out of all honesty I want what's best for my daughter. I want a good environment for her, good family, good friends. I wish I could give her everything I didn't have in a family growing up.
I've thought to myself maybe I should move out of my parents house. Maybe it'll help me a little but what if I cant do it on my own. What if I cant do school either. What if I just fail at it completely.
This is mostly me venting. I don't really have anybody to talk to that will really help me out. Please? Anybody?

rohvannyn responded:
Well, we can help by listening! Welcome. It must be tough to be in your situation and you are right, you need support. Have you considered Al-Anon or a similar support group for friends and family of alocholics? That way you'd have companionship and support, as well as a way to gain some coping skills. I know it's rough with a tight schedule though. Even an online group like this?

My best to you. Keep up the self-talk, you can do it.

mem2010 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you that means a lot. And I had no idea there were support groups for family with alcoholics. Ill look into it for sure

mem2010 replied to rohvannyn's response:
Thank you so much I really appreciate it. I had no idea there were support groups for families with alcoholics. Ill look into that. I just wish I could get out of this situation. I've been dealing with this since I can first remember and I don't want to put my daughter through it. And when I did move out a few years ago I actually felt a lot better about myself and realized their drinking wasn't my fault and their actions were mostly based on that alone

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.