Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Medication won't work...
tobefree posted:
I have been struggling with depression for the past two years. I don't know what to do because I have tried lexapro, prozac, zoloft, effexor, cylexa, and cymbalta but no anti-depressant will work. I am currently on 300mg of lamictal, but I do not feel well. I go to therapy sometimes (not as often as before) but it only helps me a little. I am losing much hope with overcoming depression (as well as OCD and GAD)...I now push away everyone that comes to me and cannot hold stable relationships. I am isolated. I really don't know how to get better anymore. My therapist suggested nutrition, but the problem is that I already have trouble with binge eating and it stresses me further to try to eat healthier. Life is no longer enjoyable and when I am "happy," it never lasts. Summer is coming up quickly, as I am still in school, and I don't want it to be like last year, when I laid in bed everyday and never went out. Please help if you know anything else that would help...

rohvannyn responded:
It can be tough because first you have to get the right medication for your brain chemistry, and then you also have to work hard with the right therapist. Not everybody responds well to every therapist. I have heard it said that even when medications are correct, they are like water wings that hold your head up above water, you still have to work hard to swim, so to speak.

I don't know if this will help, but try not to think about getting rid of bad foods. Try instead to get more nutritionally dense foods (vegetables, fruits, lean protein, that kind of thing) into you before you start binge eating. Drink enough water, too. That way there won't be as much room for the unhealthy stuff, and you won't feel so deprived to begin with, because your body will be getting the nutrients you need.

Your body and mind CANNOT work properly unless you put the right fuel in it. It's like trying to run a sports car on low octane gas with water and dirt in it. It just doesn't work right. Of course, none of these things are a cure all, they all work together to support you. Even so, set your goals small. Try to get an apple a day at first, for example. Or make sure you drink more water. Or take a ten minute walk. Baby steps at first. But if you make little improvements in any area, and celebrate when you have successes, then you WILL make some kind of progress.

My best to you.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Bringing Peace Back to the Holiday Season Through Mindfulness
http://ezinearticles.com/?Bringing-Peace-Back-to-the-Holiday-Season-Through-Mindfulness&id=8165694 More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.