Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Is suicide a sin?
jaws82 posted:
I have talked to my counselor about commiting suicide and (was a Christian counselor) said it was a sin for commiting suicide and in danger of going to hell. I don't know what to believe, it is a very scary thought-IM sorry, this might open a can of worms.

itmatsb responded:
I don't know that anyone knows for sure, unless they have been dead.

BUT, the bigger question, is why are you thinking of suicide? Is your life so bad or is it because of pain? What is your pain from? Let me know. I have thoughts on it having been very suicidal in my life.

rohvannyn responded:
Even though I'm a reincarnationist and don't believe death is the end, suicide is still a terrible waste and pretty much awful for everybody involved.

I am glad you are reaching out and talking to people. It can be hard to stay alive sometimes, even sad to take a new breath. It's important to remember that depression is not forever, that things can get better, and nine times out of ten it's your brain chemistry that is contributing more than your actual circumstance. I've had times when I was feeling terrible even though my life was pretty much fine, and times I have felt bright and optimistic even though I had just lost my home and nearly all of my belongings.

Mindset is everything. Keep trying. Don't die, not because it's a sin or for some other artificial reason, but because your life has value. Keep reaching out. You are welcome here.

jaws82 replied to itmatsb's response:
I had to retire on my job as 25 year

jaws82 replied to cjpxx's response:
I am so messed up right now. Its the only thing I know to do to get an even break here. No, I have not decided to commit suicide, I just need someone to talk to about it.

cjpxx responded:
(continued)

- What about the family members? I will tell you that I know of another person that committed suicide, and I watched her parent's bodies get destroyed on the inside. They were the most happy people, fun"026. So much fun to be around"026. And it was almost ten years before they began to smile and again. It changed them forever. I only knew this person from afar, because I used to play lemmings (computer game) with them as a kid. But even just that little bit of exposure to how awesome of a person they were, and that they would do that, I found myself with emotion I had never had before. My mother screamed, "Who are you? Who are you?" to someone who had made the phone call to our house. She was very close to the person, and was on the floor, completely destroyed. PURE selfish. The person that dies"026 their gone. I've heard it said before, "If you do that, don't expect me to come to your funeral, cause I'm not going to come""026 and I kinda agree with that mindset. Although that's not what I remember. I think my mom left, and spent the time with her parents. But she decided on it. That was an impulse decision, that left her not hurting anymore, and transferred more pain than what she had to her family. So, I don't know"026 maybe it is a sin. I think you should probably pull out your bible and study that verse that talks about it. But it certainly isn't something that's OK to do because it places pain and hurt into other people's lives, and usually to great lengths.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance". I don't think suicide is considering ANYTHING joy! The testing of your faith develops perseverance. Why? So that Perseverance can work within you so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Not lacking anything gives no promise that God will protect your home, your wedding, your money... It means God will protect your soul. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him, but when he asks he must believe and not doubt because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and toss by the wind... that man will not receive anything from the Lord. He is a double minded man. Unstable in all he does...

So some of this may not say suicide directly, but when you don't at least try to consider a trial joy - when you just run away like a coward - and put everyone that loves you at a higher level of pain and subject them all to anger toward God for what you decided to do - then could that be the man that does not receive anything from the Lord... because he is unstable... blown and tossed by the wind.

I am getting this from James.

I don't have a bible with me right now. But if I have a chance, I will try to look it up, to give you some more feedback. [br>
[br>
I have heard many that believe that it's an unforgivable sin. Again... I don't know the scriptures of where they get that or if it's taken our of context or whatever - but what you can do is find out where that comes from, and then research something that's called exegetical interpretation or exegesis. This gives you a perspective on what the passage says because it gives you research on who, what, where, when, how in the time period it was written with regard to the surrounding historical influences, the intended audience by which it was written and the actual audience which received the document. Hermeneutics is the application of that text to today - which is what everybody jumps to without first knowing anything about Exegesis. This Exegesis is very difficult to find, because religiosity and churches running as social clubs is the trend much more strongly than pure biblical study, and those that are sitting down for biblical study have not a clue on where to start. [br>

cjpxx responded:
(end)

The materials on biblical study very rarely use an approach that puts exegetical interpretation as the highest priority so biblical study is really just listening to other people's opinions

I award you courage for asking this question, and pray blessings on you in the future. Don't run. Don't be a selfish coward by committing suicide. But if you honestly have considered something like that, attack it! Do what you have to because there is so much more for you even after you know you're past this! - You have to attack the depression and anxiety fully too. Then after that will be something else. Maybe you will end up prideful or maybe you will end up defensive. But we keep growing with Christ as our light and with the Holy Spirit as our rock.

----

OK - so you've heard all that. Sorry for deleting it and re-posting.

In response to: "I am so messed up right now. Its the only thing I know to do to get an even break here. No, I have not decided to commit suicide, I just need someone to talk to.."

Listen, what do you need? What do you think? Do you think you feel like you are moving forward with this counselor or do you need to keep going while maybe looking for a different one? Do you feel like the whole idea of it being a sin makes it hard for you to talk about it or do you feel like it makes it easier to not do it? Would you like a bible study to try to find out?

It's so encouraging to me to hear from you, "I have not decided to commit suicide!"

You are working through and overcoming depression. You are reaching out and showing all of us, "I'm going to be stronger than this". And guess what? The clouds will part and the sun will sun.

- This is how life works. Everyone will let you down, and many times you will feel like God lets you down, but when you look back at your life, you can see that love that people have for you and that protection God had on your life. Now, we have to get to a place where you can see it in the moment. Not later. But now. And that's maybe just a re-wiring of perspective that can be bought by prayer.

I thought to myself this morning while trying to kill flies in the kitchen with a spoon, "This is kinda fun!" It felt like a sport. Probably cause I wasn't getting any of them! My fly swatter broke yesterday. The spoon idea was... well..... a waist of time! But I had a better perspective than I might have had on another day. Instead of getting frustrated and thinking, "This is disgusting! How are these flies getting into my house?!" I thought, "Ha! Ha! This is kinda fun!"

Practice the little things like that. Maybe keep score on your thoughts. And tell yourself, "This is my life. I am in control of it. And this nonsense.... I'm setting it aside. I'm going to move forward, and I'm going to have a good life, even if I have to practice smelling the roses until I appreciate the beauty God has placed in front of me, because here's what's going on. I am loved, and I want to see that! I want to experience it. I'm tired of missing out on it!"

Your goal is one thing: To get to heaven. How do you do that? You work to understand love. You study Christ. You study how to love other people. You pray.

And here's the truth. Heaven is so wonderful that God does not allow us to see it until we die, because he doesn't want people killing themselves to try to get to Heaven. So we are here now, and we know about Heaven, but we can't see it. And what else do we know? We are here to learn how to love. Put your faith in Christ, and ask God for strength to know what you are supposed to be doing, where your skills lie, where your passions can be used, and how you can feel more like his tool. Cry out to God and say, "Look! I'm not feeling this! I need something to lift my spirits. I need your direction". He will give it to you.

jaws82 replied to jaws82's response:
Thanks everyone for your reply.

rohvannyn replied to jaws82's response:
You're welcome. I think the question is, do you want to be selfish? What kind of person do you want to be? Will ending everything really solve anything? I think you already know the answer to that, and that's why you are having the courage to talk about it here instead of just killing yourself. Thank you for reaching out, thank you for talking about it. It may seem hard, but you do have the strength somewhere within you to move toward being the person you'd rather be. You don't need a god to do it either.

The beautiful thing about human beings, is that we each are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Just take it in baby steps. Little goals. And keep reaching out for help.

jaws82 replied to chez1's response:
Hi Chez, I sure have missed you and MyRain a lot. My doctor has been working to get my meds straightened out and working. I have been flipping a lot between euphoria and darkened, deep depression. I was at the point where I had even written a suicide note and a plan. It was that bad. I am also on 2 different pain meds, MS-CONTIN and oxycodone, and am able to walk a little bit longer and pain controlled longer. Chez, I was that close. That is when I happened to find a Christian counselor and have been seeing her once day a week. We will see how that goes. Does MyRain still post? I have loved hearing from you.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Goals
Counseling is good, but pick a goal and commit to it. If you are serious about being whole for your kids, then focus on that goal. When ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.