Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

Outpatient ECT
BitterPug posted:
Please, please.
Could anyone tell me if there are any outpatient facilities that perform ECT in the Illinois or St Louis region?
I'm willing to stay in a nearby hotel the first few sessions in case of side effects.
My medical health provider did zero research and I was in a locked psych ward, 1 inch plastic mattress, roommate watching me sleep and following 2 feet behind me anywhere I went. I can't recover in a place like that.
I demanded release the next day, was taunted by the night staff that I'd have to stay allow I was there for a voluntary procedure.
I was released the next morning but not before the offensive shrink that would have performed the procedure (I still have no clue why he was asking me personal questions when I wasn't his patient.)inquired over and over if I had been molested as a child despite my repeated "no."
He then asked why I've been married 20 years but have no children! He said I obviously didn't have a college degree (?) then scoffed when I told him I had a BA in Fine Arts, Printmaking. He only treated me like a person when I told him I was a small retail business owner.
I may be wrong but the fact I was allowed to leave meant major bungling on both my meds provider and the hospital's fault.
Later that day my 'impossible to reach w/out a 3 week wait for an appointment' meds provider called me, furious. The woman who lauded me each visit w/my willingness to work toward regaining my life back insisted she told me it was a locked ward, (A lie.) and informed me she's "tired of me fighting her at every turn. I should find a new meds provider!"
My mom passed away this year, except for my husband, I have no support system. I still see the therapist at the centre as I felt I connected w/her. But I have an appointment tomorrow and her words I blindly, guiltily swallowed at our last session 'who she thought long and hard whether she should keep me on as a patient' have haunted me for 2 weeks. I know I need to bring this up, perhaps losing another (paid) support system.
The ECT feels like it was dangled in front of me like a golden apple, then snatched away. But I knew there was no way possible I could have stayed in that ward (I had experience w/a locked ward 4 years ago.) over two weeks w/that doctor performing a procedure I wanted but was nervous and frightened of.
I want to do the procedure out patient. The meds provider and the doctor said that wasn't possible but I know it is.
Does anyone here have any references to a facility? Thank you so much for reading this tome.

marysings responded:
Hi BitterPug. I usually post on the sexual abuse and borderline communities. I wandered to this site and I couldn't help but read your post.

I will be horribly disappointed if you return to the counselor and the psych doctor. How nasty they are!!

Go online and do a search of counselors and psychiatrists in your area. When you call, tell the receptionist you are severely depressed and need help soon.

I know little about ECT except the patient is under anesthesia during the procedure. Maybe that is why it is not done outpatient? If I was you, I would do a lot of research online.

I hope I didn't step on your toes.

MarySings
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Ways to help depression
I thought I'd make a little list of things that have helped me, so we can all add to it and help each other. Who knows what we may find, if ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 33 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.