Skip to content

Announcements

Please take some time to click through these links to find out more about our community.

What is a Trigger and When to Trigger a Post
How and Why to Report a Post
Visit our Crisis Assistance Link for resources. For immediate help, call 911 or get to the ER.

fAMILYS
smoochys12 posted:
I have suffered with depression for 25 years. I have bounced from one med to another.
The worst thing is that my daughter was just diagnosed with depression. I am filled with guilt, because I know it runs in families. I never wanted to give her that /

smoochys12

tryingtobeawesome responded:
Depression can run in families, but it certainly doesn't always. I'm the only one in my family, and my family is not at all supportive of mental illness of any kind. I can't talk to my family about what I've been through. Maybe you can look at it as an opportunity to support each other instead of something that's your fault.

steph1977 replied to tryingtobeawesome's response:
I completely agree. I am about the only one in my family and i get ZERO support or understanding. Atleast your daughter will have that because i know i would love to

rohvannyn responded:
Please, don't feel guilty. If it runs in families, that's referring to genetics. You can't control what you pass on in your genes, so you bear absolutely no responsibility. The others are right. You have the opportunity to pass on to her what you have learned about dealing with depression. You can also encourage her to understand her condition, and research it together. Learning together is a very powerful experience and perhaps you can both gain more understanding, as well as help yourselves a little.

Resist despair. That's depression talking. Work together. Be there for her. That's the greatest gift you can give as a mom. Your job isn't to make sure her life is trouble free, but rather to give her the skills to deal with the bumps in life's road as they come.

If you don't feel you have those skills, this is the time to learn them, she will thank you for it. I wish to heck someone had done that for me, I'm still putting myself together and learning those lessons now.

Featuring Experts

Thomas L. Schwartz, MD, received his medical degree from and completed his residency in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York (SUNY) Up...More

Helpful Tips

Do not change your meds...Expert
without consulting your prescriber. I am very concerned with many, many posts where folks are dropping, lowering, changing their meds ... More
Was this Helpful?
103 of 141 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.